Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBPro825

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I have been debating on gettiing either bootcamp or parallels for my Macbook Pro so I can run certain programs I have left over from my old PC. I do not know much of the difference between the two. I believe parallels can run both Mac OS X and Windows at the same time but thats about it. Any suggestions would be great. Also, if there is something better than either of these please mention it.

wixberry

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
Jakarta
if you want a native speed in windows, use bootcamp...
Any Virtual Machine out there, you will need sacrificed some performance while using Windows and OS X the same time

My two cents....:apple:

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
VMware Fusion, unless the programs you need to run require direct access to the hardware, such as demanding 3D games. The less-demanding games may run OK on the upcoming version of VMware Fusion, version 3.0.

MBPro825

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Ok, hypothetically lets say I download bootcamp. I have to get a windows os of some sort, correct. Should I just wait for windows 7 to release 10/22 or get an XP cd? (I would rather not get vista if at all possible)

MBPro825

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Is it on both the Leopard disks and Snow Leopard? (I have both so it isn't so much of a problem. Just would like to know before I go through the disks)

jejagua

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
Torrent Win 7 RC (you can no longer DL it from Microsoft) I'm running 64-bit.
Acquire a legit (legal) license from Microsoft's website

As NoSmokingBandit recommends, install Bootcamp first. Then install Win 7 RC on Bootcamp.

You have several options for virtualization. Most can use your Bootcamp partition rather than a custom image. This will give you the most versatility. I prefer Fusion.

Boot to Bootcamp when you need max performance.

Win 7 RC will get you by until you purchase the Win 7 release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.