Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GinsterMk3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2012
So I just purchased a new Macbook Pro 15 inch today. I have not been able to truly find a good response to what I need so hopefully I can get something here.

I am needing to use windows for what I will be doing for work. I am doing mortgage loans and the software needed is only on Windows. Obviously a lot of files will be saved in Windows as well. I wont be using Windows for anything else really other than maybe a game if I even decide to do that. I did not plan on partitioning more that 30gb for use of Windows and planned on saving most files on external drive.

Would it be better spending the extra $80 for parallels or just use Bootcamp which I do not mind rebooting computer if need be. Or maybe which Virtualization software would be best recommended.

Thanks in advanced.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I think you answered your own question. You would have to pay for VM Apps, when bootcamp is free.

You also stated rebooting into Windows is not an issue for you.

Recap: better performance and cheaper.
Go with Bootcamp :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion is that Bootcamp on the Mac is more trouble than it's worth, with the potential there to mess with the Mac OS on the drive.

If you're pretty much going to be working with only one Windows app, I'd suggest some kind of VM as a better alternative.

Also, there is an app out there called "Crossover", which can run -some- Windows apps on the Mac without having to install Windows at all.

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
I use Parallels and I love it. I only open Bootcamp occasionally when I really need to push my computer to its limits.

The good thing about Parallels, aside from the fact that it is much more stable than Bootcamp, is that you can open your Bootcamp partition in the Parallels VM as well allowing you to have the best of both worlds. And, for 90% of tasks you'll never have to leave MacOS.

With a 15-inch MBP you'll have really good performance in Parallels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.