BootCamp or VM??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by WilliamBos, May 29, 2011.

1. WilliamBos macrumors member

Hi All,

Which is more stable, VM Or Bootcamp?? I have a couple of Legit programs on CD that are not available on Mac, and I do want to make use of them.

Which is more stable?? I do like the Idea of not rebooting. Do I still have to partition the HD for VM??

I have XP SP2 from my last PC that I can use.

Also, is it possible to upgrade on VM from XP SP2 tp W7?? I can get a W7 Ultimate upgrade licence through work.

Mac specs in sig.

Thank you so much.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It is possible to upgrade within a Virtual Machine.

Both are as stable as each other, however you will see a drastic performance increase in Boot Camp. But if you really don't want to reboot, then it'll perform just as stably in a Virtual Machine.

You will not have to partition the hard drive for a virtual machine. It just stores it all in a package.

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I prefer Boot Camp. If you really want VM, check out VirtualBox.

4. WilliamBos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Can I also upgrade from XP to W7 in boot camp?? How much should I partition??

5. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

However much you need. 32GB is a standard option and a good place to start for most.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You can indeed upgrade in Boot Camp. You should partition as much as depending on your needs. At least 10GB for the operating system and then as many GB as you need for your wanted apps, plus another maybe 15/20GB on top of that for stability and extra space for new apps in the future. It's up to you really.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

VMs are great. I use and recommend VMWare Fusion. It's so nce not having to reboot, and you can use Spaces to give your VM its own screen. You can run a VM well from an external drive, too. Thunderbolt will rock for that!

8. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Why don't you do both? Run Vmware or Parallels using Windows installed with boot camp. You can run virtually for quick stuff, and boot into windows when you need the speed.

9. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You CANNOT Upgrade XP to 7. It will make you backup and do a Clean Install.

Also, 7 requires at least a 20GB partition in its default state (which is quite a bit more than XP needs).

Oddly enough you can upgrade XP to Vista and then Vista to 7.