Bootcamp or VMware for games?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Keytachi, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Keytachi macrumors regular

I installed W7 32bits VMWare fusion 3 trial to run some pc games.

I gave the guest os 2GB ram and access to 1 core, but i'm getting extremely low performance on games (battlefield heroes and team fortress 2) even with low settings.

Would it be best to use bootcamp to run games? Or is there some other settings i can change to increase the performance of the games?

Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

I see...
    There is an option in VMware about a bootcamp partition, does using that option will still use virtualization (rendering bootcamp useless)?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

VMWare can use your Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine. You will still take the performance hit from not running Windows natively, though.

5. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

Roger that... I guess i'll have to go bootcamp :(

6. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

so i finally managed to install windows 7 on the boot camp partition...
    But now i can't seem to be able to update my drivers with the snow leopard install disk :/

And when i try to download the nvidia driver installer i get a error (no drivers found for the hardware).

Anyone got any tips on this matter?

7. Nohg macrumors member

Some more information would be lovely. It sounds like you've done a fresh install of Windows 7 onto that partition. What error are you getting? Did you install 32-bit again or go to 64? Try turning UAC (User account control) off, as it seems to hate bootcamp installers and is relatively useless anyway.

As far as nvidia goes, you have to be very, very sure to match the drivers to your hardware precisely. I had a similar issue for ages regarding drivers for my GT 8800 and mucked about using hacked drivers that install for any hardware. Then I realised I was trying to force 9000-series drivers onto my 8000-series hardware. So make sure to double check which version you need.