bootcamp or VMware

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by skasol, Nov 21, 2007.

1. skasol macrumors 6502

I have a question, what do you guys recommend, bootcamp or vmware for my mac pro 2.66? I only have 1gb of ram and when I installed vmware it runs very slow, it worked better on my macbook pro with 2gb of ram, should I do a separate partition and run bootcamp? I want to ditch my pc completely but there are 2 programs I need to run on a pc. any help or suggestion is appreciate it. thank you.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unless you're playing games, the best choice is probably VMware + a bit more RAM.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I agree, unless you game vmware should be fine. I use bootcamp, and can boot into it in vmware, so I get the best of both worlds. You really should have more RAM though...I mean a Mac Pro with 1GB, that's just sad...It would help a lot, especially for vmware.

4. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so I will do vmware, I will also remove my 150GB raptor from my pc and install it as my os drive on the mac, I will keep the 3 500GB drives as storage and I already got (just today) another 4gb of ram 2*2GB sticks. so I will give vmware a try thanks all.

should I add more ram? I will have total of 5GB.

5. iSavant macrumors regular

5 GB ortta git 'r done!

It will make a huge improvement in the performance of your Mac Pro!

Ram prices have really dropped lately

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5GB should be great! Such an improvement over 1. Happy computing.

7. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you all, I was thinking of doing a whole 8GB. is that overkill just photoshop and that is pretty much it. I am going to see what I get out of it with the 5GB first. thanks again.

8. iSavant macrumors regular

I was at 5 GB for 6 months and never felt (never was) ram constrained. The dropping price became too much temptation for me and I recently got another two 2 GB sticks for 8 GB total. I retired to storage/backup my two original Apple supplied sticks.

I've got four empty ram slots though , so I'm not sure I'm done yet LOL :eek:

9. peejack macrumors 6502a

Have you tried parallels ?? It really is an awesome program and integrates so well.