Bootcamp os SSD - strange problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Honbe, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Honbe macrumors regular

I've created Bootcamp partition on 256GM OCZ SSD. The partition size created is 70GB. Installed Win 7 64bit, everything went OK, except: C drive under Win 7 shows almost full disk (about 67GB used) and available just about 1.5GB. It is clean installation, no programs yet, no features, etc. - should be max. 20GB. I went through all folders (incl hidden ones), counted used space and it is about 20 GB. So that where is the remaining 47 GB??? I cannot install anything as Win 7 does not see enough space. Can this be somehow connected with the fact, that it is installed on SSD (garbage cleaning...)?

----------

BTW, Bootcamp drive under Lion shows the same values.

2. tomllama macrumors regular

I have SSD's in both my MP and MBP and neither of them exhibit the behavior you are seeing (I switch between SL and Win7 installs). It may be a windows installation issue.

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Odd question but you wouldn't happen to have a excessive amount of RAM would you? Say along the lines of 24GB?

4. MJL macrumors 6502a

16 Gb of Ram may get you close. (16 Gb pagefile and 16 Gb hibernation file = 32 Gb, then perhaps a service pack and some other updates plus the updates filling up the hidden "system restore" and then the space is gone)

Some people have the mistaken belief of "zeroing" the free space is a good idea on an SSD (e.g. CCleaner , zeroing is NOT a good idea on SSD) and that would leave you about 1 G before the proverbial brown matter hits the fan. Garbage collection takes time before it cleans itself up but if there is not enough free space then it will not work either. Hope it is not this.

Delete the partition and start again OR allocate extra space and let it sit idle (for several hours at least) to see if more space gets freed up.

If all fails then you may either have an incompatible OR faulty drive.

5. Honbe thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I have 32GB RAM. The SSD work OK under Lion, it is just the problem with the Bootcamp partition. BTW, this is NOTthe same disk where Lion is installed. I think I have to delete the Bootcamp partition and start from the scratch.

----------

I know zeroing is not good on SSD, esp. OCZ. Did not get fully the RAM think - does it mean, that Win 7 creates pagefile the same size as RAM (sorry, I do not have much experience with Windows)

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So maybe a hibernation file lurking around?

7. Quad5Ny, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Lol! I knew it. Dude, your hibernation file and pagefile are eating up all your space. :p

Shrink the pagefile (or disable it) and also disable hibernation. See here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12672619

Yes. By default the pagefile is equal to the size of your RAM and the hibernation file is 75% the size of your RAM.

8. Honbe thread starter macrumors regular

Yes you did! Good catch, thanks all of you.

9. MJL, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

MJL macrumors 6502a

Pleased it was this simple.

Pagefile is normally RAM size plus a small overhead amount (from memory it used to be something like 16 Mb). You'll want to leave a small pagefile for housekeeping purposes in case of sudden power failure, there is a utility to measure max size the pagefile grows to but since studying it many years ago I just allocate 256 Mb. If there is a hibernation file you may have to manually delete it, depends how it has been configured.

PS make the maximum and minimium size for the pagefile the same - in that way the pagefile does not get defragmented and stays in the same location. This is of more importance with a mechnical HDD but I still keep on doing this with a SSD, perhaps out of habit but potentially it may make a nano (pico?) second difference by not requiring the operating system to order partial reads and writes. ( not that I'll notice )