Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icedd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Hey guys, I'm a new mac user, so please bare with me. :D

I'm currently trying to put windows onto my macbook pro and was wondering which of the 3 should i use? I'm mainly going to be using windows for gaming, which one would you recommend?

Any tips, help would very much be appreciated.
Thanks

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Since (most) games are fairly demanding on system resources, your best bet is to use Boot Camp to install Windows so you can run it directly; virtual machine programs (Fusion/Parallel) run Windows in a window so both OSs are using system resources at the same time.

Not only that but, as long as you already have a Windows disk (and license, of course), it doesn't cost anything extra to use Boot Camp.:)

evilted

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
The current MBP is a pretty decent platform for Windows games, but whether you try to run under Fusion 2 (which lacks OpenGL support) or Parallels, I think you will be very disappointed with the performance of your Windows games relative to what you'd see if you had installed a Boot Camp partition and ran them natively.

I'm playing some older games, and even they don't work well (at all) when virtualized. Call of Duty 2 was unplayable, and Doom 3 won't even run (lack of OpenGL under Fusion 2).

Since (most) games are fairly demanding on system resources, your best bet is to use Boot Camp to install Windows so you can run it directly; virtual machine programs (Fusion/Parallel) run Windows in a window so both OSs are using system resources at the same time.

Not only that but, as long as you already have a Windows disk (and license, of course), it doesn't cost anything extra to use Boot Camp.:)

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Hey guys, I'm a new mac user, so please bare with me. :D

I'm currently trying to put windows onto my macbook pro and was wondering which of the 3 should i use? I'm mainly going to be using windows for gaming, which one would you recommend?

Any tips, help would very much be appreciated.
Thanks
Use BootCamp for best results. Or Parallels 4.0 if you're keen on trying virtualization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.