BootCamp, Parallel or VMware Fusion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by icedd, Apr 22, 2009.

1. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

Hey guys, I'm a new mac user, so please bare with me. :D

I'm currently trying to put windows onto my macbook pro and was wondering which of the 3 should i use? I'm mainly going to be using windows for gaming, which one would you recommend?

Any tips, help would very much be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Since (most) games are fairly demanding on system resources, your best bet is to use Boot Camp to install Windows so you can run it directly; virtual machine programs (Fusion/Parallel) run Windows in a window so both OSs are using system resources at the same time.

Not only that but, as long as you already have a Windows disk (and license, of course), it doesn't cost anything extra to use Boot Camp.:)

3. evilted macrumors newbie

The current MBP is a pretty decent platform for Windows games, but whether you try to run under Fusion 2 (which lacks OpenGL support) or Parallels, I think you will be very disappointed with the performance of your Windows games relative to what you'd see if you had installed a Boot Camp partition and ran them natively.

I'm playing some older games, and even they don't work well (at all) when virtualized. Call of Duty 2 was unplayable, and Doom 3 won't even run (lack of OpenGL under Fusion 2).

4. Illicit macrumors 6502

Use BootCamp for best results. Or Parallels 4.0 if you're keen on trying virtualization.