Bootcamp/Parallel/VMFusion FOR GAMING

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tgalletti, Sep 16, 2010.

1. tgalletti macrumors newbie

To start off, sorry, I know there are a few threads comparing the three programs, but I am wondering what would be the best program to install Windows for gaming. This is serious gaming here, Civilization V. I can't wait for them to port it over to Mac.

I hear Bootcamp would be best because of the need to restart, but have also heard VMFusion is a good one. Help please, thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are many thread comparing these three.

Boot Camp is by far the best because it allows direct use of the hardware. Parallels and Fusion don't and will always be slower the Boot Camp.

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

For performance, bootcamp is by far the best, followed by parallels. VMWare Fusion is the slowest but known to be more stable than parallels.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To repeat the gist of those already existing threads:

Boot Camp allows you to run you Windows natively, meaning all components of the computer, CPU, RAM and GPU (Graphics Processing Unit, often just called "graphics card") are directly accessed, as there is no layer in between (just Windows).

If you run Windows as a VM (Virtual Machine) in VMWare or Parallels, there are two layers added: the software you run the VM in (VMWare or Parallels) and Mac OS X, thus components are not talked to directly, especially that GPU, which is needed in most modern and less modern graphic intensive games.

Booting Windows on the Mac - Mac Guides

5. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Install using Bootcamp and then you can use your Bootcamp partition in Fusion if you want. Don't game in a VM.