Bootcamp + Parallels 7 or just Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sgt. Raven, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Sgt. Raven macrumors member

Which is better, Bootcamp plus Parallels 7 or just Parallels 7 with Win 7 Pro, and why? early 2011 17" MBP w/8GB ram and stock 750GB HD.

2. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

I think it all boils down to what you wish to do with it.

For 99% of what I do, Parallels on its own is just fine. I'd use Bootcamp for processor intensive games however.

3. b0 5l33 macrumors newbie

b0 5l33

4. heyloo macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Parallels can open up a Bootcamp partition, so you wouldn't have to create a new Parallels image. Like the previous post, unless you plan on playing games, I think Parallels would cover everything that you'd need. You're on a MBP with enough HDD space, so I guess you could spare some space for Bootcamp and have Parallels run your Bootcamp partition if you want to pull it up from Lion. I have a MBA so I'm kinda limited with the HDD space so not quite sure if I want to create a new bootcamp partition on it.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Are you saying that if you do bootcamp and install windows you can run windows through parallels without a second install of windows?

I hope I just made sense of what I am trying to ask. :eek:

6. heyloo macrumors 6502

Parallels Bootcamp Partition | parallels.com

Yeah it looks like Parallels 7 is still able to do this. There's a trial version if you're interested in trying it out before you buy :)

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

The really clever part of Parallels is the Coherence mode. Win apps just open with two clicks max from the Dock without seeing the Win desktop. If there are times when the Desktop is needed, then Exit Coherence is available. I've used Virtual Box (WinXp on Ubuntu) and VMware (Win7 on OSX as well as WinXp on Ubuntu) and the difference is amazing.

8. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Yes you can do this.

You have the choice then of booting all the way into windows under bootcamp or bringing up the bootcamp windows partition under mac os x as a virtual machine.

If you do run windows under parallel in mac os as a virtual machine make sure you shut it down cleanly before shutting down your mac os x operating system.

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

That's awesome thanks, 2nd best news I got all day. I will be making a macbook (13" pro or air) in 2012. When the wife gives me the go ahead. If my dell dies before that I am sure she will allow me before 2012.

10. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Well something really bad could happen to the Dell almost any day right? Like ... nudge nudge wink wink ... ( just kidding mostly ).

Make sure you are doing some kind of backups on your dell right now so you can get stuff over easily in case it does croak. Norton ghost is one option of easily moving stuff ( several alternatives obviously ).

Both the 13 inch air as well as pro are great choices but if you can wait it out until March 2012 things for next year should start clearing up by then. Personally I am "thinking" about a macbook air 15 if/when it appears in 2012.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I have thought of the nudge. I was hoping for a little better processor in a 13". That's why I am mostly willing to wait for the next generation. I like the Airs mostly for the SSD and the slim form factor. I know I can get the SSD in the pro, but it really ups the price (probably worth it).

I have backups of my computers via my home server, so that's not an issue.

My last two computers were a dell XPS m1210 and XPS m1330, both were customized with high end components. So I have had them for a while. I expect the same when I get a macbook that I will have it for at least a few years.