bootcamp/Parallels 7 RAM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by imazu, Jul 4, 2012.

1. imazu macrumors regular

I had a late 2011 mbp 15 and installed a 16gb ram on it which is plenty enough to run few windows os. i just ordered the rmbp and it should be here in 5 days. i only ordered the 8gb ram cause it's the only configurations available. i would like to ask your opinions if 8gb plenty enough to run windows. i use windows to play games, software that is not compatible with mac but nothing like photography stuff in depth. i know it will be a future proof to go on 16gb ram. i would like to also know if the the ML uses alot of ram.

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It will be enough - so long as you're conservative with Windows guest OS memory allocation and aren't doing anything crazy in the VMs themselves. If in doubt, be stingy with VM guest memory, for basic stuff 1gb is enough for Windows.

You'd MUCH rather your guest OS runs low on RAM than your host (OS X) - because if OS X runs out it will start trying to swap all of the VMs out and parts of the OS, which will cause UI responsiveness across all applications to go to poo.

For running games though you'll probably want to use bootcamp.

I run multiple Windows VMs on my work laptop which has 8gb and 256GB SSD.

Windows 7 host OS, but that won't make a heap of difference.

I also run a number of VMs on my MBP at home under fusion with 8gb.

ML (mountain lion?) memory usage is on par with Lion, if anything it appears to be a bit snappier.