Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IIDreII

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
I have a question about the activation issues several people have gotten when trying to use their bootcamp partition in parallels.

I got a new 2.2 GHz 15'' MBP with 8 gbs of ram.
I have Parrallels 6 and will upgrade to 7 when they send me my new upgrade key.

I got to a school who provides laptops with W7 on it already. If you have your own computer, you can get W7 on it provided by my school. They do it for you via Bootcamp and will only do it via Bootcamp. I want to run it via parallels most of the time since I won't have anything that needs to use all my MBP's resources. However, I'm worried about running it via parallels since I'm worried that I will need to activate it. How will I do that since my school did everything for me?

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can point parallels to your bootcamp partition when you decide to install a virtual machine so no worries :)
Edit: activation should be the same since it's running off your bootcamp partition so you don't have to worry about windows 7 activation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.