Bootcamp, Parallels and a few other questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Varjeal, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Varjeal macrumors newbie

Greetings, and yes this is my first post so I'll try not to act like too much of a noob.

Currently, I am working on my third, yes you read it right THIRD pc laptop this year, (different makes and models each time) and I swore to myself last time I'd buy a mac next. Before I do, however, I need to ask some questions of experienced folks with macs for some advice. Remember, be gentle, I'm new....lol

1. If the full version of a windows software can be installed and work through the usage of bootcamp, parallels or other such software, does that also allow DOS emulation? The reason I ask is that some backwards minded individuals in my industry STILL design and manufacture software that uses that. Yeah, I know its dumb, but its software thats expensive to replace.

2. (Silly question #1) Am I correct in thinking that my Acer external monitor would function properly when plugged into a Mac laptop (yes, I asked).

3. I have a 250gig external hard-drive with a lot of files on it. Would this drive have to be formatted for Mac usage? (I don't really need to know how at this moment.)

4. For those of you who have switched from PC to Mac, did you find the learning curve for the new OS and apps difficult or slow?

5. For those of you who own both, how do you find your gaming experience on each? I'm particularily interested in comments from those who play World of Warcraft.

6. In regards to accounting software for small business, is there a Mac app or specific program that works well, or do most use something like Quickbooks?

Thanks for your time and consideration in advance of these noobish questions.

Btw, I'm considering purchasing the new MacBook pro.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My answers:

1. I have not installed DOS on Parallels. According to their web site, you can.

2. Yes it will. Is it digital? If not you will need a DVI to VGA adapter cord.

3. The Mac OS can read and write a DOS formatted HD. It can only read an NTFS formatted HD.

4. Been using IBM PCs since DOS 1.0 and Macs since 1986 so I can't help you there.

5. Sorry, not a gamer.

6. You can use Mac software. Or just run PC software via Parallels or Bootcamp.

You should be able to run Windows via Parallels on your external monitor and the Mac OS on the MBP display. Really handy that way if you need to run both at the same time.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yep - if you can run it under XP on a Windows box, it'll run under XP via Bootcamp. It's highly likely that it'll be fine under VMWare or Parallels too

Yeppers :)

Depends on how it's formatted - if it's FAT32, it'll be fine, if NTFS then you can read only
    [/QUOTE]

Don't forget you can run all of your Windows games via XP and bootcamp - they'll perform as well as any equivalent hardware, Mac or not.

Quickbooks works fine - MYOB is another good alternative.

I use both platforms extensively - I'm sysadmin on a windows-based network, but do all of my personal computing and much of my work computing on Macs. Frankly, it's pretty seamless these days - given how well bootcamp works, you always have that final 'get out clause' if you need it for the occasional application =]

4. Varjeal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies, and it leads me to my next question. I'm assuming that after using and falling in love with the mac it eventually won't be necessary in a couple of years, but which of of various (umm...not sure what to call them...emulators?) programs between bootcamp, parallels, and VM (are there others?) are the most seamless and easiest to use function-wise?

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Bootcamp allows you to install Windows XP or Vista (you need the appropriate install disc) on a separate partition (FAT32 or NTFS) on your Mac. It is not emulation software, but rather gives you the capability to dual boot your Mac into the Mac OS or Windows.

Parallels and VMWare on the other hand are the two most popular PC emulators for the Intel Macs. Once you install Parallels or VMWare, you will then need to install your operating system of choice. Not sure about VMWare, but Parallels just about supports anything that will run on a PC. The nice thing about emulation software is that you can have multiple PCs which can come in handy at times.

Personally, I prefer Parallels since I can run the Mac OS and Windows XP at the same time. Unfortunately Parallels will not support most FPS type games so you would need to reboot from the Mac OS directly into Windows. Then when you are done with your gaming, reboot back into the Mac OS.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Boot Camp is simply a tool for creating a partition to install Windows on; you would reboot completely into Windows, and at that point, have a Windows laptop on Apple hardware (the fastest Windows laptop on the market, BTW...)

Parallels and VMWare are virtual machines, where you install & launch another OS (Windows, DOS, Linux, whatever) in a "bottle" created by the virtual machine. It shares the available resources of the host machine, and both (or all three/four, etc) OS's are running simultaneously. Obviously, slower and less power available than rebooting into Windows on a Boot Camp partition.

A key advantage of installing Windows via Boot Camp is that--at least with Parallels--the VM can use the BC partition for it's "bottle", obviating the need to install the OS again, and hence giving you two levels of Windows available: virtualization and full hardware, as needed, for a single actual instance of Windows.

7. gelatin macrumors 6502

ok im thinking about installing windows on my mac.
    -if i am gonna use parrallels, should i install windows thru bootcamp first?

-i can either run windows thru bootcam or thru parrallels right?

-also when i partition my hard drive, will i be able to make the windows section larger at a later date without wiping it?

-will i be able to get rid of the windows partition without wiping my osx partition?

-how long does this trial version last for?
    http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/
    thanks

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

-Doesn't matter. They are independent solutions to the problem of running Windows.*
    -Yes. 100%
    -I do not think so.
    -Yes. 100%

EDIT: * - I have found that you can setup BootCamp partition and install Windows on it, and then use Parallels to boot off of that Partition (if you don't feel like restarting your computer into BootCamp). Therefore no matter what method of accessing Windows you choose you will be using the same partition.

9. gelatin macrumors 6502

thanks, what about that download link?
    is parraelels trial only for a limited time?

10. andyclhui macrumors newbie

Hi, a couple of follow-up questions:

1. If I were to use Bootcamp and install Windows XP (under NTFS), can OS X read and write files to the XP partition? If not, is there any other software that enables OS X to read and write to the files stored under XP?

2. Can I make use Bootcamp to install Vista, and make use of Parallels or VM to use XP?

Thanks in advance for your help

11. fredhargis macrumors newbie

I haven't enough knowledge to answer anything you asked, but I have some comments about Q4. Before i start, let me explain I'm not bashing Mac's, and I used a mac in an earlier life about 12 years ago. But we (LOML and I) switched when it was obvious that Vista wasn't was what it should be, and we needed a new computer. So, about 6 weeks ago a new Mac Pro showed up on our steps. But what surprised me was that there wasn't even a single page of anything in the boxes that had a clue on how to do even the most basic operations, it was like Apple expected customers to have all the basics down. I bought "Switching to a Mac for Dummies"and found it to be of some help, but not as much as I expected. I subscribed to MacWorld (actually for some months before purchase) and found them to be all wrapped up in I'phones and I'pods (go figure). So we've struggled to get the usage of this thing down on our own, and it hasn't been easy. The Mac OS is just different enough to make you have to spend quite a bit of time figuring out even the simplest of taks. My real complaint was that Apple doesn't include a "Welcome to our world, here's how to get started"pamphlet....and bTW, the help function isn't really much help. That said, at this point we have the basics down, and are really warming to the Mac. But if Apple's market share is growing, they are getting new customers. These customers deserve some basic introduction hard copy with such an expensive computer.At least IMHO. I realize power users will sit down and pick up without missing a beat, but not all users have that ability. Thank goodness for forums like these. And, once you do get it figured out, life is pretty good.....but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my experience.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I should send you a pamphlet on using line breaks. ;)
    As for your Mac introduction, it is true that there is no particularly useful literature in the box. Then again, they do have a number of setup programs that can get you on the internet and get certain devices connected easily and quickly (bluetooth, airport, digital cameras, etc.). If all else fails, use the MacRumors Guides and Forums.

13. gelatin macrumors 6502

guys ive never done this partition malarky before, how do i go about installing windows and how would i remove the partition at a later date?

also ive got an iso image of windows, can anyone tell me how to install it?
    thanks

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

look in the Boot Camp documentation. when you open Boot Camp Assistant theres an option to print the documentation (so you can follow it in the windows installer). after you install Windows you can restore to just the Mac OS partition.

open Disk Utility, drag the iso to the sidebar and click burn!

15. gelatin macrumors 6502

thanks very much mate, i will do that :)

one more thing tho, i aint got a printer, ive saved the manual as a pdf, will i be able to access it while im going thru the process?

edit:hang on burn as in burning it to a cd to install?
    can i do it without putting it on a cd?

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

1. You shouldn't need the manual.
    2. You have to put it on a CD/DVD. No other options.

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats ok! nope thats why it asks you to print it! but if you havent got a printer write down the points you dont know or memorise them. its pretty simple. just make sure you format the "C:\" drive. it has <BOOTCAMP> written beside it in the Windows installer to help choose the right one and not format your Mac partition.

18. Foxile macrumors regular

I'm a recent switcher myself and I've found that on the whole, OS X and the 'Mac experience' has been very positive. I wish I'd done it years ago.
    I had to 'unlearn' a lot of Windows stuff and even now, there are a couple of minor points that I have, but nothing ( even :apple: ) is perfect.

Everyone has answered your other questions already, so I'll just chip in with WoW ;)

I only started playing once I bought my Mini and found that it was fine, as long as you keep the colour depth and resolution settings at the lower end. I've only been playing for a few weeks, so I haven't been on any big raids to see what a full screen load might do, but like I say I've been impressed with how the Mini could handle the game.

I've moved over to an iMac and that's a much better experience. The screen looks lovely and it'll happily run at 75fps+ all day long.

On a Macbook, I imagine you're going to sit domewhere between the two :)

19. sdsviet macrumors regular

here's my answer to question #3.

if ur external hdd happens to somehow be ntfs, u can install a program that lets u read and write it on the mac but i have to say that its not that fast at all. it might double the writing time. i cant remember exactly what the name of the program is but u can google ntfs osx or mac and it should come up.

here's my answer to question #4.

my learning curve wasnt too bad but i was a huge windows power user and here's my gripe and certain things on the mac. for me mac finder did not have the same usefulness as windows explorer. i do a lot of moving and copying and view thumbnails and i cant do it efficiently in mac's finder. also copying and pasting does not work for me at all. on a windows keyboard i am so used to doing ctrl c and ctrl v. on a mac its apple c or v. the apple key is too close to the c and v for quick one hand copyign pasting. its like trying to do alt c or v on a windows machine. u'll see what i mean when u try it out.

20. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

You're issue with "copying and pasting, thumbnail view" is not an issue in Leopard. The issue with key combinations not a big deal. I jump back in forth on both platforms and it becomes second nature after a while. Personally, I like the way Mac implements the key combinations. Copy and paste is a common combination and on Windows it too spread out.

~e

21. Burnspot macrumors newbie

Burnspot

With regard to Parallels or VMWare, I went with VMWare. It works great so far; I did NOT partition my drive, I merely loaded up VMWare and then installed XP within a VM. As far as I know, VMWare can use a Bootcamp partition to run just like Parallels if you want.

Running XP in Unity mode is somewhat interesting as all your XP stuff can appear on the dock. I've had zero problems running VMWare. I don't use my VM XP much, it was basically a "play thing" to see how it worked...I've long since abandoned all things Windows based in the 6 months I've had my MacBook. Of course, before that, I was using RedHat and Ubuntu Linux almost more than Windows. ;)

Take some time to read the reviews of VMWare and Parallels; I got the sense that since VMWare is a much older player in the VM market, their product, although young in the Mac world, has a ton of experience behind it.

The learning curve can be steep, but I found things relatively easy to figure out...most likely since I'd been using Linux a lot. I do remember finding a great deal of information on various forums and the Apple website (videos).