BootCamp, Parallels or VMware or DataEase ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nusku08, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Nusku08 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I moved over to a Macbook Pro a few months back - i love it so much I take it into work and plug into the windows network rather than use my office PC.

Using all the windows generated documents works seamlessly but I have one problem: we use DataEase for our stock database.

Now I'm assuming that the very best option would be to use BootCamp, but I'm tempted to go for VMWare or Parallels the reason being that I need to access the database half a dozen times a day and don't really want to re-boot just for that and also I might need to copy and paste from the database to documents running under Leopard.

Is there any consensus as to whether VMware or Parallels is the most stable.
    Anyone here used DataEase on a Mac ????

thanks,

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I cant comment on DataEase as ive not used it,there are many
    threads concerning the Fusion vs Paralles debate,they both have
    trial periods so the best advice i or anyone else can offer is to
    give each ago and see which one works out best for you

Fusion is the more stable of the two

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

4. Nusku08 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies!

Yes I guess giving the trials ago is the way forward - just that my time is short at the moment so I guess I was hoping to avoid having to try both programs.

will do a search through the threads

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If time is short go Fusion it's by far the better option and 95%
    of folks on here agree

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Bootcamp will be by far the fastest, but if you want virtulisation, then I'd agree with the others and say go for Fusion (speaking as someone who owns both Parallels and Fusion).

7. Nusku08 thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks !

I've just downloaded the trial of Fusion and will give it a go !

8. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I recommend you to download Parallels Desktop trial either to make the right decision. ;)
    Will wait for your reports! Good luck! :)

9. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

No-no! Do not avoid the possibility to try both programmes. :D Parallels have now a special offer - Kaspersky + ATIH + Acronis Disk Director Suite come with Parallels for 99$ (70$ for Parallels + 30$ for the additional soft)
    Kaspersky alone costs about 60-70$... http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/premium/
    I really like that you may have a defense from virus almost for free! :) I advise you to try both apps for running Windows and choose which is better for you!

10. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I think he should choose one of 2 apps and then look at the offers. But I remember when I was choosing one of these 2 pieces of software Parallels' offer played key role in making the decision! :) This offer has bended scale to Parallels side! Maybe this offer can also help you to decide...

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Fusion offers stability & support which parallels does not,also you base your
    reason to go parallels on some av that you dont even need (i take it your
    aware of the FACT there are NO known viruses in the wild that would affect your
    Mac) all that av crap is just a gimmik to try and rope you in to buy a unstable
    program that others no support when things go tits up

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I agree that Parallels' support sucks.

But, as for stability, Fusion consistently crashes on me after running 24/7 for several days whereas Parallels doesn't. When Fusion crashes, it crashes hard and I have to force shutdown.

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I think this parallels vs fusion issue is going to carry on and on