Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nusku08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hi there,

I moved over to a Macbook Pro a few months back - i love it so much I take it into work and plug into the windows network rather than use my office PC.

Using all the windows generated documents works seamlessly but I have one problem: we use DataEase for our stock database.

Now I'm assuming that the very best option would be to use BootCamp, but I'm tempted to go for VMWare or Parallels the reason being that I need to access the database half a dozen times a day and don't really want to re-boot just for that and also I might need to copy and paste from the database to documents running under Leopard.

Is there any consensus as to whether VMware or Parallels is the most stable.
Anyone here used DataEase on a Mac ????

thanks,

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I cant comment on DataEase as ive not used it,there are many
threads concerning the Fusion vs Paralles debate,they both have
trial periods so the best advice i or anyone else can offer is to
give each ago and see which one works out best for you

Fusion is the more stable of the two

Nusku08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
thanks for the replies!

Yes I guess giving the trials ago is the way forward - just that my time is short at the moment so I guess I was hoping to avoid having to try both programs.

will do a search through the threads

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Bootcamp will be by far the fastest, but if you want virtulisation, then I'd agree with the others and say go for Fusion (speaking as someone who owns both Parallels and Fusion).

Nusku08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
many thanks !

I've just downloaded the trial of Fusion and will give it a go !

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
thanks for the replies!

Yes I guess giving the trials ago is the way forward - just that my time is short at the moment so I guess I was hoping to avoid having to try both programs.

will do a search through the threads

No-no! Do not avoid the possibility to try both programmes. :D Parallels have now a special offer - Kaspersky + ATIH + Acronis Disk Director Suite come with Parallels for 99$ (70$ for Parallels + 30$ for the additional soft)
Kaspersky alone costs about 60-70$... http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/premium/
I really like that you may have a defense from virus almost for free! :) I advise you to try both apps for running Windows and choose which is better for you!

nikopolidis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Parallels have now a special offer - Kaspersky + ATIH + Acronis Disk Director Suite come with Parallels for 99$ (70$ for Parallels + 30$ for the additional soft)

I think he should choose one of 2 apps and then look at the offers. But I remember when I was choosing one of these 2 pieces of software Parallels' offer played key role in making the decision! :) This offer has bended scale to Parallels side! Maybe this offer can also help you to decide...

Neil321

macrumors 68040
No-no! Do not avoid the possibility to try both programmes. :D Parallels have now a special offer - Kaspersky + ATIH + Acronis Disk Director Suite come with Parallels for 99$ (70$ for Parallels + 30$ for the additional soft)
Kaspersky alone costs about 60-70$... http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/premium/
I really like that you may have a defense from virus almost for free! :) I advise you to try both apps for running Windows and choose which is better for you!

Fusion offers stability & support which parallels does not,also you base your
reason to go parallels on some av that you dont even need (i take it your
aware of the FACT there are NO known viruses in the wild that would affect your
Mac) all that av crap is just a gimmik to try and rope you in to buy a unstable
program that others no support when things go tits up

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Fusion offers stability & support which parallels does not,also you base your
reason to go parallels on some av that you dont even need (i take it your
aware of the FACT there are NO known viruses in the wild that would affect your
Mac) all that av crap is just a gimmik to try and rope you in to buy a unstable
program that others no support when things go tits up

I agree that Parallels' support sucks.

But, as for stability, Fusion consistently crashes on me after running 24/7 for several days whereas Parallels doesn't. When Fusion crashes, it crashes hard and I have to force shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.