BootCamp, Parallels Questions.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WalcomTV, May 8, 2011.

1. WalcomTV macrumors member

Hi, with my new 2011 iMac on the way, I am going to be installing Windows 7 Ultimate under Bootcamp onto it.

A few questions.

1. Could someone please link me to a good video/text guide to installing Windows on a Mac. BootCamp or Parallels.
    2. I remember reading that you can access the Windows partition on your Hard Drive made via BootCamp in Parallels. Is this true? If so, this would be fantastic.
    3. How does Parallels work exactly? Is it just an emulator as such, or as said above, read a partition and work from it?

Sorry for the really stupid questions.

- Wally.

*Reposted this in the iMac forum as it would get more attention.

2. WalcomTV thread starter macrumors member

3. Chris5488 macrumors regular

1. A quick search on Youtube gives you a video-guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Sol3c6dDM
    There are even a lot more videos, but I found this one most usefull.

2. Yes that's possible, first you install BootcampWindows, then you install Parallels on your Mac, when you configure Parallels there will be an option to use the Bootcamp partition.

3. Parallels works like an emulator yes, but it works more simple then that. You can even put the Windows start-button in OSX so you start Windows programs immediately within OSX, while in fact Parallels is taking care of everything.