Bootcamp & Parrallels question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CyrusOz, Apr 27, 2009.

1. CyrusOz macrumors regular

Just a quick question that i couldn't get the answer on. I want to use bootcamp to run XP on my iMac and I know it has to be a real XP not an update but what I also need to know is .... if I just go through the bootcamp setup now to run windows on my Mac can I install parrellels in a month or so when i buy it or is it best to go through bootcamp and parrallels in the same process?

Now I just have to track down my XP disk and make sure it's not a damn update lol

Sorry to start a whole new thread for just one simple question but I couldn't find any info that addressed this query

Steamed

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can add Parallels later... no problem
    You don't have to have it when you set up your Boot Camp partition

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

cool thanks. my other concern is i get half way through the bootcamp process and i've used the wrong XP disk and i'm trying to use the upgrade and not the full edition (which I think my ex-wife may have taken during the big split of 2006) and that worries me that I might screw up the bootcamp process somehow by using that disk

4. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Yeah, you can't use the upgrade disc for a full-install.

I recommend finding someone that has XP with SP1 (if you are upgrading to SP2) and use their disc. If my memory serves me correctly, your upgrade disc has a different serial on it, which means it won't take their serial.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For ease of use and maintenance, you should install Boot Camp, then Windows, then Parallels. Have Parallels launch your Boot Camp partition, rather than creating a new, fresh install of Windows - this way, you're only maintaining one Windows installation instead of two.

And like MacDawg says, you can install Parallels at any time afterward - just make sure you have Boot Camp and Windows installed first!