Bootcamp Partition Already Almost Full

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Home-Skillet, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Home-Skillet macrumors newbie

I have literally JUST installed Windows 7 on my 15" Retina MBP.

When I made the bootcamp partition, I gave it 30GB of my 512GB SSD (Since I won't really be using it to store many files).

I updated the drivers from apple and installed Chrome. That's it. Now it is telling me I have used 24GB of my 27GB (27, even though I partitioned 30). Please see attached file.

What is causing this? How can I free up some space? Surely just the windows install can't be that big...?

I don't want to have to repartition and give it more space.

Help!

2. simsaladimbamba

Windows still uses base 2 to report file and volume sizes, thus 30,000,000,000 bytes get reported as 27 GigaBytes.
    Mac OS X uses base 10 since Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to report file and volume sizes, thus 30,000,000,000 bytes get reported as 30 GB.
    As for finding out what takes up the storage space, take a look at TreeSize.

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Majority of the space is likely occupied by the pagefile (virtual memory/swap) and the hibernation file (used when you hibernate your computer).

You most likely won't ever put the computer in hibernate mode, so you can disable this to get some of your space back. Open command prompt (start, "command prompt", right click-run as administrator). Paste the following and hit enter:

Code:
    powercfg -h off
    Pagefile is different and really shouldn't be tweaked unless you've got a lot of physical memory. Windows - by default - matches your pagefile to your physical memory (e.g. 8GB RAM = 8GB pagefile; 16GB RAM = 16GB pagefile; etc). I would only recommend reducing this if you've got at least 8GB RAM and even then, I wouldn't make the pagefile any smaller than 2GB.

Shrink pagefile (guide is for Vista but will work with Windows 7).

4. Home-Skillet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys.

Stooby McDoobie, I have 16GB of RAM installed on my RMBP - So is this why it's taking up so much space? Is this enough for me to tinker with safely?

Thanks

5. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Yes and yes. 16GB RAM = 16GB pagefile. This is what's taking most of your space. You have enough RAM to safely shrink the pagefile, but, again, I wouldn't go below 2GB - some programs and processes require virtual memory even if you have plenty of RAM available.

6. yabot macrumors regular

sorry to dig up a old thread. i have the same issue, i have deleted the hibernate file and reclaimed 8gb. i'd like to reduce the pagefile but only have 8gb ram. what amount do you recommend to set it too? i have 100gb partitioned, and only use it to play battlefield 3, other than that theres nothing else installed yet i only have 20gb left!

cheers.

7. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

With 8GB physical RAM, a 2GB pagefile should be adequate. Bump it up to 4GB if you notice any slowdowns.

8. MJL macrumors 6502a

Does not sound right to me. Do the following: when you've opened up the game go to the taskbar and start "Task manager" and check how much memory is in use. Never assign less than 200 Mb for the pagefile - mine is set at 256 MB as I normally use no more than 2 Gb of my 4Gb of memory.

Secondly right click on Computer and go to properties. Alternatively go to control panel and select system. Go to system protection and check how much data you've used there under "configure". If that is heaps you may want to delete that (disable) if your machine is stable and you never use restore. I have it set to 0 and disabled because I have a good backup regime.

Go to accessories and select Disk clean. At the bottom click on the left button (cannot recall exactly the name now and am not going to boot up Windows) and see how much space your system dung (another word cr_p) is taking up.

Lastly go to IE Explorer and check under Internet Options - General - Browsing history how much space your temporary files take up. I've set maximum space to 256 Mb but these days I suspect it should be a bit more, 512 Mb should be ample.

You might want to get CCleaner (first C is for the above cr_p word) and run that every now and then - gets rid of a lot of dung.