Bootcamp partition BSODs after Lion install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kendavis, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kendavis macrumors newbie

Hi, 1st post here. I have been searching all kinds of forums and reading tons of posts but not really finding out how to resolve the issue I have. I upgraded to Lion this morning and OSX is fine. However, when I attempted to boot into the Win 7 bootcamp partition, it starts up the generic Win 7 splash screen then BSOD's quickly with an "Unmountable_Boot_Volume" error.

The model is a '09 MacBook Pro 13 inch aluminum body. Prior to Lion it was running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and the bootcamp partition had Win 7 64 bit Ultimate which worked perfectly.

I see the Windows volume in the boot manager. I see the bootcamp partition in Disk Utility. Repair Disk is grayed out and if I click Verify Disk I get "verify volume failed: Invalid request...don't know if this is normal or not. The format is NTFS and capacity/remaining drive space seems normal from when it worked before.

When I try to do the Win 7 repair options the 1st thing I notice is that the Windows OS isn't listed in the System Recovery Options window. It states that if it isn't listed then load drivers then install for the hard drives. Not sure what to do here actually. Also, if I go to the Recovery Tools and select Command Prompt I can't cd to the C: drive, I get "The volume does not contain a recognized file system" (assuming C: is the bootcamp partition).

Not sure what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

have you tried the apple support site. go to apple .com search bootcamp might find info there or if in need of updated drivers get from there. could try using syst disc utilities see if mounted if not try to remount bootcamp partition

3. kendavis, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

kendavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this is one of the 1st places I checked. Searching on "Unmountable Boot Volume" yields very few current (as of 2011/2012) results and those results are not related to my issue. I see that several folks had issues in not seeing their bootcamp partition either in Disk Utility or in boot manager an/or had a BSOD with a "cache manager" message. I see my partition in both areas and my BSOD message is different. The bootcamp partition appears to be intact but won't boot. Not sure why I am unable to access the drive either from a command prompt or see the Win 7 OS in the Windows repair table.

The intent for posting this here was in hope of someone else experiencing the same/similar issue and possibly a fix.

Cheers.

4. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

my bootcamp partition shows greyed out in disc utilities also shows as unmounted and ms/dos does not show in system start up in sys prefs .but will show up and able to boot into using alt. this not bother me as not get the win7 hd on desktop.and only use occasionally

----------

you could look on apple support for drivers and info. also if go help in menu bar type bootcamp might give hint there what wrong or how to download drivers. as think it means when asks the lion bootcamp drivers

5. kendavis thread starter macrumors newbie

The difference being that you are actually able to get into Win 7. I get a BSOD everytime. Checking into drivers but thinking I might be screwed at this point. Tried to use WinClone to make a backup of the bootcamp partition to an external drive and it fails every time. My thought was to back it up, remove the partition using bootcamp then re-install it again. Not sure if this will work or not..

6. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

searched for an app to recover files non found to recover the wins side. if you saved a windows image be easier as just go bootcamp restore disc start again make partition same size as last load wins restore image. sorry i tried to look see if could help but look like i'm stuck with idea that you'll have to remove bootcamp and start again.i hope it not case where you have to start from scratch best of luck.

7. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

" just a thought' is your system up to date as there was some firmware updates for some laptops on the software up dates

8. kendavis thread starter macrumors newbie

It has the current firmware on it, just double-checked that. At this rate I am going to assume Lion overwrote some files on the bootcamp partition. Amazing that Apple would release something like this. There seems to be a lot of folks suffering similar issues with bootcamp and Win 7 though post Lion install. Although, I can't blame anyone but myself since I didn't do my homework first before installing Lion..

Well I have spent too much time on this so will just remove the partition and reinstall from scratch. Good thing is that I only use Win 7 mostly for gaming so it will just be reinstalling a crapload of games all over again. :(