Bootcamp/Partition Help

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Suture, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I'm currently wrestling with getting Bootcamp installed on a 3TB Fusion iMac. Apparently this is a lot harder than before; I've never had any issues on my previous Macs.

I noticed when I was looking at hidden partitions, I have a bunch of extras, or at least what appear to be duplicates, and am wondering why there are so many:

Macintosh HD
    EFI
    Macintosh HD
    Boot OS X
    EFI
    Macintosh HD
    Recovery HD

Why are there 3 Macintosh HD partitions? The first one is the logical one, 3.11TB. The second is not mounted, and 120GB in size. I'm assuming this is the Fusion portion? The third is not mounted, and comes up as 3TB in size. There are also 3 EFI partitions at 209MB each.

I've been reading that the number of partitions you have may have an impact, and that the Windows partition needs to be within the first 2.2TB of the hard drive, and possibly on partition 4 exactly. I'm not having any luck, even when following that criteria.

Looking for any insight on the extra partitions -- if they're all needed, or if they were somehow created during my failed Bootcamp attempts, and if any others with a 3TB Fusion drive can chime in on suggestions. I am running 10.9.5 on a Late 2013 iMac.

I get to the installation portion of Windows but am always receiving errors that I'm setup for GPT. I've tried both Bootcamp setup from Apple and manual creation of the partitions in a few ways, nothing has worked.

2. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

An update in case anyone else runs across this problem. Apple couldn't even get Bootcamp running. They're not sure what happened. They wound up running their diagnostics on my hard drive, rebuilt it as a Fusion drive (I couldn't get this far), and installed Mavericks. Came home, installed Yosemite.
    Created a 1TB partition for Windows, and then the USB thumb drive for Bootcamp drivers. Windows 8.1 is now installing off DVD. I was still prompted that Windows couldn't be installed GPT partition, blah blah, but I simply formatted that partition and this time it took, and allowed me to proceed.

FWIW, the 2 Apple techs I worked with said the Fusion drives were some of the hardest items they have for troubleshooting.

Short version: Took it back to Apple, they restored my partitions and reinstalled Mavericks. I installed Yosemite when I got home and this time Bootcamp setup worked.