Bootcamp Partition Huge Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mongoose8p, Feb 23, 2008.

1. mongoose8p macrumors regular

Ok so I set up bootcamp and gave it 29GB of space half way through partitioning my macbook pro had a kernal panic (wonderful) and now I've lost 20 (some) gb of hard disk space..... I don't know what to do to regain the space since it didn't finish in the bootcamp assistant it doesn't let me delete the partion because it doesn't know that it exists... what should i do? i'm really worried now..

2. dap1215 macrumors regular

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When this happened to me (Boot Camp refused to acknowledge it but Disk Utility knew it was there), I clicked the path to it in Disk Utility (the Volumes window) and just trashed it. I was then able to restore to a single partition in Disk Utility's partition thingy. Then I put Vista back on. I can't stop playing The Orange Box! Gmod and Portal for the win.

Edit: The cake is a lie, but my post count isn't. 500th one, right here. Avatar and number. G5 monicker, here I come! :D

4. mongoose8p thread starter macrumors regular

so i should do a time machine backup and then in the mac os x utilities in the install disc restore from the backup or will that suffer the same problem?

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

You might want to try posting this over in the "Windows on a Mac" forum.

You'll probably get more (OT) responses....

MacDann

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No, that should be fine.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would reformat the entire drive as well.

8. mongoose8p thread starter macrumors regular

how would i go about doing this?

9. modesty macrumors member

dude dont do any of the **** these people are tellng you here. you just need to edit the drive partitions. basically you just need to delete the partiton you created and give it back to the mac partition. i dont know if bootcamp lets you do it, i know mac software is notorious for simplifying crap so much you have no control, but im sure theres plenty of partioning programs out there.

10. mongoose8p thread starter macrumors regular

just want to make sure everyone understands the problem the partion does not exist anywhere I can not find it and it comes up that ive used 91.1 gb's on my macintosh hd which is not true at all around 30 of this is the windows partion tahts buried somewhere i reallly don't know what to do about this because when i back up time machine thinks its backin up 91 gigs which its not so if irestore to this i may still have the dead space tahts hidden somewhere

11. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I have this exact same problem.

To get the space back boot into single user mode (command S)

then run fsck -fy

it will say disk repaired then boot back in and all the space will be there if you're lucky

However, when i try to run bootcamp partitioner again the problem re-occurs.

I read that its a problem with the bootcamp partitioner moving data to create the empty partition.

Only workaround was to either completely backup then repartition entire drive

OR

run a disk defrgragger

OR

Boot off leopard install DVD, run disk utility, choose to resize current HFS partition to smaller size, ( it should be non-destructive)
    then make it full size again.

then boot into leopard and run boot camp partitioner again and you should be ok.

12. dap1215 macrumors regular

Well you certainly don't need to be suck a d!ck about this. I was just saying what I would do. So play nice or I will come over and pound your a55 into the ground. :cool: