Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Borja1055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
So i was partitioning my hard drive when this error popped up. "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." So i followed some recommendations on the board and repaired the permissions using disk utility and then i backed up my Hard Drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. What do i have to do next? it still gives me the same error message, Thanks

Borja1055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Erase the internal HDD while booted of from the external HDD where your cloned backup resides on and clone the contents back to the internal HDD. Now all data should be continuous and you can create the Boot Camp partition via Boot Camp Assistant.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.
Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility
Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

That sounds really complicated lol... i tried partitioning using the disk utility and it doesnt work either -_-

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
lol i guess i have to do it then. So how do i boot from the external drive? and how do should i erase the internal HD? is it actually erased?

Restart, and with the external connected, hold the option key before the gray screen and click the icon for the external disk when it comes up. that will boot from the external. Then you just go to disk utility and erase the internal drive and reformat

Borja1055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Restart, and with the external connected, hold the option key before the gray screen and click the icon for the external disk when it comes up. that will boot from the external. Then you just go to disk utility and erase the internal drive and reformat

How does my macbook know where to boot from if i have multiple backups on my External HD??

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
How does my macbook know where to boot from if i have multiple backups on my External HD??
If you have multiple bootable backups on your external HD, you can select which one when you boot holding down the ALT (Option) key.

Let's say you have two bootable backups on your external HD called A and B. When you boot your computer while holding down the ALT (Option) key, you will be presented with all bootable partitions where A and B should show. (Note, since these partitions exist on an external HD, they will show up with an orange looking icon.) Then you select which partition, A or B, by clicking on the one that you want to boot from. Once selected your computer should boot using the selected partition.

After booting the partition that you selected will show at the top right of your desktop assuming you have your Finder set to show external HDs.

Borja1055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
If you have multiple bootable backups on your external HD, you can select which one when you boot holding down the ALT (Option) key.

Let's say you have two bootable backups on your external HD called A and B. When you boot your computer while holding down the ALT (Option) key, you will be presented with all bootable partitions where A and B should show. (Note, since these partitions exist on an external HD, they will show up with an orange looking icon.) Then you select which partition, A or B, by clicking on the one that you want to boot from. Once selected your computer should boot using the selected partition.

After booting the partition that you selected will show at the top right of your desktop assuming you have your Finder set to show external HDs.

ok so i rebooted from the hard drive....now i have to do this ( http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat_4.htm ) right?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
ok so i rebooted from the hard drive....now i have to do this ( http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat_4.htm ) right?
Before we proceed, I want to verify that your clone via CCC has just been done so all your files are backed up.

If true, then proceed per the link that you provided.

Once done, you can reverse clone using CCC.

Then you should be able to use BootCamp assistant to create a BootCamp (Window) partition, and then install Windows.

Borja1055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Before we proceed, I want to verify that your clone via CCC has just been done so all your files are backed up.

Then you should be able to use BootCamp assistant to create a BootCamp (Window) partition, and then install Windows.

ok thanks yeah im sure that everything is backed up so ill go ahead erasing it

Borja1055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010

Done! Everything worked perfectly and the partition was successful. Thanks alot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.