BootCamp Partition issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ScottyMacUser, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ScottyMacUser macrumors newbie

I have 43GB available on a 120GB drive on my MacBook base model and I'm trying to partition via BootCamp.

I'm trying to allocate 32GB to the Windows partition but I keep getting the following error message:

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Now I've backed up my disk and launched disk utility, and try to follow above directions here but the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) area is grayed out and when I click apply after highlighting the MacBook are (in blue), it errors out and says the disk is out of space. Am I doing something wrong here?

MacBook info:
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B05
    SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
    Serial Number (system): W89166LQ4R1
    Hardware UUID: 37E70B8B-BA22-5980-B885-0E0D49EF4503
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

Attached Files:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

First, you will need to clone your Mac HD to an external drive (Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, etc)
    Then, you will need to reformat the internal drive, either by booting from the clone or your OSX disc
    Finally, restore your clone from the external drive to the internal

After that, you will be able to run Boot Camp Assistant and partition the drive
    The problem is, while you have the free space, it isn't contiguous

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

How did you backup your drive? Did you use something like Carbon Copy Cloner? If so, then you need to "restore" your drive with the image that CCC created. You see that "Restore" tab"? Use that.

If you meant that you used Time Machine to backup, you probably want to boot from your OS X disk, use disk utility to format the drive, and then use the Restore from Time Machine backup option, available from the Utilities menu in the menubar of the restore DVD.

4. ScottyMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dawg. I'm a bit nervous about messing with this when I don't know what exactly what I'm doing. Are there any step-by-step on how to do this that you know of? If not I could research it a bit more.

Also, the reason I am doing this is so I can do gaming on my Mac. Do you feel my setup will work out for gaming or am I trying to do too much with a base model laptop?

5. ScottyMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I just backed up all my files to an external. I wasn't sure what it meant by backup and I didn't realize I would have to backup my system.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Oh, you don't have to if you don't mind reinstalling your system. If backing up your files is good enough, then you should just be able to reinstall OS X (after erasing the partition and recreating it), and then run boot camp assistant again.

7. ScottyMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

What would you suggest as the most "pain-free" way of doing this? I don't want to "F" anything up and don't want to make this a headache project. Is Carbon Copy Cloner something I should look into?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

To clone your internal HD, Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper (SD) can do this for you.

Carbon Copy Cloner is free

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]