BOOTCAMP partition not appearing after reboot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sipho, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sipho, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

sipho macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I seem to be having one problem after the other installing Windows on my imac. Hoping maybe to find some help here :)

My problem right now is that after creating the partition through the Boot Camp Assistant and starting installation, my mac reboots. If I don't do anything as it starts up I arrive at a black screen saying "Non-system disk. Press any key to reboot". After googling it seems that if I just press down the alt(option) key as it reboots I should arrive at a disk selection menu. And I do, but there is only the 'Macintosh HD' drive appearing and not the BOOTCAMP one.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I would really appreciate the help as I'm clueless about these things.

2. mooseeka macrumors newbie

tell me about it!!
    its been driving me crazy and I have the same exact problem on my new i5 OSX Lion Mini..it did work by fluke like 2/100 tries...

I called apple and they simply couldnt help me..and they said its a windows issue and we only deal with the partitioning...and so after I flipped out they transferred me to the supervisor..and basically they indicated indirectly that its a its a Lion issue! and only "RETAIL" version of windows 7 will make it work

Something is fishy..cause like I said it I worked it twice out some many times

3. sipho thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh really? I have Snow Leopard, not Lion :p

So there is really nothing to do? :/

4. mooseeka macrumors newbie

really! hmmm,,well..I did some digging..do you have bootcamp 3 or 4?

if 4..then downgrade it to 3 and try again..

5. sipho thread starter macrumors newbie

6. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

Just check the steps need to follow while creating bootcamp :

1. Click on Finder
    2. Navigate to Applications >> Utilities and double click on Boot Camp Assistant icon
    3. Click on Continue button to proceed further
    4. On following screen set size of partition by dragging Dot point right or left, or click on buttons bellow according to your choice and click on Partition button.

Now a separate partition has been created where you can install Windows OS. You may click on Start Installation button to proceed further or click Quit & Install Later
    Here you need to insert windows software CD/DVD to continue the installation process.

Check out are you going in the same way and give me some time (one or two days)I will update my blog with screen shots that could help you.

7. sipho thread starter macrumors newbie

Nik, I am past all the steps you write here. My problem is after I reboot my imac to begin the installation. Either I arrive on a black screen, or if I press alt I arrive at the hard disk selection menu, with only the os x disk available for selection.

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Could you post a screen shot of Disk Utility wit the bootcamp partition selected?

9. mooseeka macrumors newbie

I got it to work by restarting when pressing C while having win7 disk in there...but it could just be an odd chance...try it thu...I can't believe Apple is putting us through this ****!

10. sipho thread starter macrumors newbie

11. mooseeka macrumors newbie

I pressed "c" when rebooted and it worked, however..you may have to do it few times

12. iWind130290, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

iWind130290 macrumors member

To sipho:Insert Windows CD then: At start up screen, If you hold down Option key a little longer after MAC OS HD appear, you'll see Windows CD icon showed up then boot from CD to install Windows.
    Hopes it'll be helpful for you.
    Dear

13. mooseeka macrumors newbie

that still doesnt work, i tried that my self, goes back to same black screen. the only thing I havnt tried yet is a different optical drive

14. iWind130290 macrumors member

DiskUtility still can see the Windows CD? :confused:
    OK you can try this: System preference > Start Up > Choose the Windows CD icon > Start Up from it.