BootCamp partition problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by militaryman911, May 23, 2008.

1. militaryman911 macrumors member

whenever i try to use bootcamp to partition my disc to get ready to install Windows xp, it gives me this weird messgae saying that some files could not be moved. Please back up the disc and make sure it is a OS X Extended (journaled) type

2. chscag macrumors 65816

Run Disk Utility from your install disk and check\verify the hard drive and allow any errors to be corrected. You may have some file fragments blocking the partition creation.

Regards.

3. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

when are you supposed to insert the windows xp install CD

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

After you successfully partition the HDD, bootcamp will prompt you to insert the XP disk.

5. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

i tried using SuperDuper to back up the disk to a seperate disk image i called MacBackedUp and about half way through it told me to delete some files so i stopped the copying and now i only have 1.7 GB free on my disk when i used to have 18 wtf happened, and how can i fix it

6. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

would a hard drive like this work to back up my disc so i can partition it

7. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

so how big of an external firewire HD will i need to get. my computer says it has 55GB and about 25 of those still available? how much will this cost?

8. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

what about VirtualBox, i heard that is free does anyone know anything about it?

9. trentoncain macrumors newbie

trentoncain

Delete the MacBackedUP you created. It sounds like you don't have enough space on the harddrive to complete the backup.

The thumbdrive you pointed to will not be big enough. You will need a firewire drive (or something similar) like this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN975LL/A?fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage&mco=Njg3NTAy

VirtualBox is just like VMWare or Parallels in regards to a virtual computer running inside OSX. Windows XP will run slower this way. I haven't messed with VirtualBox for OSX but have for Linux and it seems to run fine. I would recommend to give it a try since it's free.

Hope that helps!

10. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

ya i think im guna try the virtuabox, after i have adjusted all the settings to my prefrences, all i do is insert the windows xp install CD and click start on VirtualBox, right?

11. trentoncain macrumors newbie

trentoncain

I haven't messed around with it on OSX but it should be the same as it is on Linux. Take a look at the manual found here for a step-by-step guide.

Hope that helps!