Bootcamp partition size for Windows gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bruno75, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bruno75 macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm converting to a Mac and am patiently awaiting my new Penryn 15.4" with 200gb drive. Question for the heavy gamers out there...

I plan on running Windows XP strictly for gaming and nothing else, but I'm having a hard time coming up with an adequate partition size. I'll probably have HL2 (TF2, episode 2), WoW, Guild Wars, Oblivion, Crysis and probably 2-3 more games. Do you think 40gb would be too much or too little? You can't access the bootcamp partition from OSX, correct? Can you resize the partition at any point? Thanks in advance.

2. pompadork macrumors newbie

My answers probably aren't completely accurate, but going from memory..

OSX can access the windows partition only if you select fat and not ntfs as your partition, but to do so you can only make it up to 32GB. 40GB is probably fine for only gaming, but i don't see the harm in making it slightly larger. Since you can't change the parition (at least without reinstalling windows, i think?) and since you can just get an external HD if need be, probably better to make it larger at first.

I'm going to be doing the same, i think.

3. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

40 gigs sounds good to me. I use a 32GB partition for Half Life 2 and a few other games. this setup works great.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Isn't there an app that allows Windows to read HFS?

I want to keep my iTunes library under OS X (don't have an external HD...can't afford one yet) and use the iTunes in Windows too (not by copying the library over to Windows, but by linking the library).

5. tip macrumors 6502

tip

MacDrive. I'm sure there are others though.