Bootcamp Partition Trouble - Windows XP "Full" version

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by downwithpantz, Feb 4, 2008.

1. downwithpantz macrumors newbie

I've searched for my specific problem, but couldn't find a solution that worked, so hopefully there is someone that can give me some good advice.

I want to install Windows XP on my new imac. My friend (a trustworthy friend, mind you) had given me a burned copy of his XP professional disc. I ran the boot camp utility, partitioned part of my harddrive as a FAT32 (32GB) partition, and inserted my disc - all as the boot camp utility instructed. Everything ran normally. My mac booted up from the windows disc, and it went to the blue screen installer - normal. Then, it goes to the screen that asks me to select a drive to format for the Windows OS - and here's where the problem is.

The Windows installer only recognizes the main Mac OS drive, not the 32 GB partition that I set aside for it through boot camp. Is there any way to redirect the installer to read the boot camp partition? Can anyone help?

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Well number one this is illegal and piracy is kind of looked down on here...

3. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

It could be that the burnt disk is dodgy or that something went wrong when bootcamp was making the partition. If you boot from your leopard disk, does disk utility see both partitions? (This should be the same as the normal disk utility, but you never know.)

As the above poster said, this forum tends to frown upon software piracy. Not to mention the fact that pirated disks can potentially have all sorts of problems.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Well technically I suppose if he wasn't using the friend's serial number and had bought his own...

Anyway, to echo the previous post, does Disk Utility see both partitions?

If not, try running the bootcamp thing from the start again. If it gives the option, merge the partitions back and try again.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Run the Boot Camp wizard again. Restore the drive to a single partition, reboot, and then create a new partition once again for Windows. It sounds like something may have gone awry during the partitioning process.