Bootcamp partition with mac os x :S

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Duand, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Duand macrumors newbie

I bought a second hand MBP which has it's drive split into 2 partitions, one called HD and one called Bootcamp. Both partitions have the Applications, Desktop, Documents folders on so I'm wondering if perhaps each partition has a different version of OSX installed? The Bootcamp partition which is the startup disk, boots Mnt. Lion.

I'm unfamiliar with Bootcamp, so I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

My aim is to end up with 1 partition called HD that boots Mnt. Lion. And that doesn't have Bootcamp installed. If it even is...

Is the following a good plan of action?:

- backup each partition (bootable disk images maybe?) and then delete the partition called HD, resize the one called Bootcampe, rename it HD, and then see if there is anything in the backup of HD to salvage?

And then if it has bootcamp installed, delete that?

Please excuse my lack of Bootcamp understanding.

Duan

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Probably not!
    What happens if you power on the machine and hold the Alt key down after the chime?
    Do you get the option to choose which to boot?
    If so, have you tried booting both?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Always do a fresh OS install on a used computer.

4. Duand thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Quackers, I'll try that now and get back to you.

I realise the importance of this now. Is my next step then perhaps: clone the drive>write zero hdd>fresh install (from partition labelled 'bootcamp' since that's where my comp is booting from atm)

I don't want to install Mavericks just yet as some software I use is currently unsupported, so if I clone the entire drive, could I install just the OSX, or just parts of the partition labelled 'bootcamp'? I suppose that's down to the software I use? I realise the latter part of this is unsuitable for this catagory, I'll re-post in the relevant one if no one here gives me cheecky heads up ;)

Cheers

5. Duand thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, I get the option to boot from either partition, the larger partition labelled 'Macintosh HD' has Leapard installed while the partition called 'Bootcamp' has Mountain Lion installed.

So now Im going to do some googling to find out whether a HD cloning software can restore just the OS. So that I can wipe the drive and install the OS from the partition labelled 'Bootcamp'.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers!

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Obviously what you choose to do is up to you.
    I would first make enquiries as to which exact model you have and which version of OSX came with it.
    I would have hoped that it would have had a recovery partition but it appears not.
    Did you get an installation disc with it?
    Can an internet recovery be performed on that model?

Personally I would backup everything that I wanted and do a complete fresh install (by whatever means is possible) to a freshly formatted drive. Obviously you would lose everything currently installed by taking that route.

7. Duand thread starter macrumors newbie

Model: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1633, it shipped with Lion (10.7.5). Which is what is on the smaller partition called 'Bootcamp'.

Sorry I should have said, when I restarted holding alt, it gave me three options, including the recovery partition. Will that help since it didn't come with the installation discs?

8. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Yes, if that partition is fully functioning it will install a fresh Lion system for you (after formatting the drive with Disk Utility first, preferably).
    Backup everything you need first though!

That way nothing will remain of your old systems and users (or the previous owner's).

9. Duand thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant, thank you! This is outcome I hoped for.

I'll see if I can mark this thread as 'solved'.

Thanks Quackers!

10. Quackers macrumors 6502a