Bootcamp partition wont mount after 10.6.2 update. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LintHart, Nov 10, 2009.

1. LintHart macrumors newbie

Hi guys

as the title suggests, ive just installed 10.6.2 and now my bootcamp partition,
    which i've names 'Windows HD' has dissapeard from my desktop and i
    cant get it to mount using Disk Utility.

i simply get the error:
    Mount failed
    The disk “Windows HD” could not be mounted.

Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting.

Ok i just tired booting into bootcamp and i get an error moments later that it cant read the disk and i have to restart.

what the hell happened!!!!!!!!!!!

surely there must be a way to force it. i've tried restarting.
    i've got vital things on that partition needed in order to keep working and now im getting behind from another problematic snow leopard update

thanks guys

2. Whiteyez macrumors regular

Just try this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    6. Release the keys.

I think this will fix your problem.

3. LintHart thread starter macrumors newbie

:( the reset went as described but sadly it didn't help.

thanks so much for the suggestion.

i just cant understand why the partition wont load when i try and go in through boot camp

4. macnwb macrumors newbie

this also happened to me after installing the update ... i did the following and the my windows virtual machine was up and running again in a few minutes ... this is assuming that you are using your bootcamp partition for you windows vm

1. i deleted the windows virtual machine from the virtual machine library; it normally in under the ~Documents/Virtual Machines/. if you saved it in another directory, look for it there and delete it. this will not delete the bootcamp partition.

2. re-launch VMware. the windows vm should still be in the list of virtual machines but this time it is grayed out. double click on it and it will automatically re-install the bootcamp partition as one of your vm.

5. LintHart thread starter macrumors newbie

I do use fusion but when i try and launch it is says the bootcamp partition can not be found.

i also cant see the virtual machine in the folder you suggested :( its empty

6. macnwb macrumors newbie

open the virtual machine library again and right click on the bootcamp partition vm, then choose 'show in viewfinder'. this should tell you where the vm machine for your windows is stored.

7. LintHart thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes i found the virtual machine and put it in the trash.
    the VM remains in the list but is not greyed out. it says error under it.

if i double click nothing happens. it simply says on the right hand side that the bootcamp partition cannot be found.