Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brokecamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Hey All,

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5 and Windows 7 via bootcamp on a 2011 MBP. My bootcamp partition will no longer mount, and I cannot repair it in disk utility. I do not have a backup of it and cannot find a way to repair the drive.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance,

Brokecamp :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What happens when you reboot the computer and hold the option key down?

It should present you with a list of bootable volumes.

Brokecamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
The main OSX partition and Recovery HD appear but the bootcamp volume does not.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
boot up with a windows recovery cd and see if you can do a repair of windows

Brokecamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
I tried that, and after running Systems Repair through a bootable windows recovery drive the dialogue box says that all errors have been fixed, and the system will reboot.

However the drive is still not listed in the mountable drives screen nor am I able to mount in OSX.

Any other suggestions/ recovery tools I can make or use in OSX?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
In Disk Utility is the partition still present? This happened to me, I made a new partition to install Yosemite Beta and my Bootcamp partition broke

Brokecamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Yes it is present, and the name is listed, its just greyed out and won't mount or run verify or repair in first aid.

I also installed Yosemite, then reverted to Mavericks, so that might be the cause. Were you able to repair/restore your bootcamp volume? I really don't want to do a clean install, and have many files that I neglected to back up on it.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Could be the bootloader, so the partition is fine. Any way to repair the bootloader?

Brokecamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
I resized my primary OSX partition in disc utility, to give it some unallocated space, in order to rewrite/update the bootloader. Still not able to physically mount or see the disk as bootable in sys prefs or boot screen.

Brokecamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
UPDATE So I was searching for other ways to try and repair the booting on the windows side using a windows recovery disk and followed the Bootrec.exe method found here

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

/FixMbr said all problems solved, but /FixBoot said element not found and /RebuildBcd said there were 0 drives with windows installed.

After trying systems repair again I still was not able to boot or mount.

Not sure what else to try :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.