Bootcamp Performance Question - Late 2015 iMac 5K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blast87, Nov 10, 2015.

1. blast87 macrumors member

Has anyone installed bootcamp/windows 10 for their new late-2015 iMac 5K?

I want to do it just for gaming purposes. Specifically for Starcraft 2 and Heroes of the Storm.
    The performance is ok on my iMac. But I'm assuming it will be much better on Windows 10.

Has anyone tried it yet? Should I expect better performance?
    Does windows 10 even support a 5k resolution?
    Has anyone had any issues with it?

Thanks

2. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Yes to all.

Yes it supports 5k now. It didn't a year ago but it perfectly works now in the 5k environment. Scales fonts quite nicely and does things natively without stretching (as in most apps are "retina ready" to use the mac term.)

Windows almost always brings better gaming performance, it's a sad truth. Heck even in cinebench running the opengl test, I get 107 fps when in osx and I get 139 when in win10. That translates over to games. The only time to ever game in the mac environment is if the game doesn't really need anything high draw. So a game like Democracy 3? Pft, I do that in windows.

Had an issue the first time doing the bootcamp install but I just deleted it and did it again. Works flawlessly for me!

3. blast87 thread starter macrumors member

Ya it sucks. I can run SCII legacy of the void fine on OSX... if I turn the settings to medium.
    But on such an expensive machine you should be able to run on high at least. I bet on Windows it will be able to run high no problem. Will install it soon and see the difference.

4. mjohansen macrumors regular

In Win10 I get a FPS boost of 20-25 FPS in Heroes of the Storm (ultra 1440p settings). Definitely worth it.

5. kødskjold macrumors member

Nice. Is it playable beyond 1440p w/o looking like garbage?

6. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Yes! The gaming performance difference is huge between Windows 10 and OS X.
    I have plenty of games on Steam that support both platform. Cities: Skyline is one of them. When playing at 1440p with all highest setting, it shows no lag whatsoever on Windows 10 but occasionally lost frame in OS X. Also, you can choose higher resolution (true 5K) in Windows 10. It looks amazing albeit not playable (You can print screen and save as a wallpaper).

Windows 10 supports 5K resolution with late 2015 iMac. It generally works very well with latest applications (like the ones from Microsoft, Adobe, and Steam, etc.). However, for older or smaller applications, you may find that the interface is not scaled properly, which results in tiny fonts... (Not as good as OS X, but much better than Windows 8)

I have no issue with using Windows 10 on iMac. In fact, iMac is the best PC I have ever used...

7. mjohansen macrumors regular

I can try later but 1440p is pretty sweet!

8. Fried Potato macrumors member

Fried Potato

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I own a late 2014 RiMac (AMD 295x) myself. I haven't started up Boot Camp for a while, but has Apple releasesd drivers yet that'll make Windows 5k compatible, or is it only the latest iMac that supports 5k in Windows?

9. mjohansen macrumors regular

Its playable on 5k with medium settings with vsync on at a steady 30 FPS. Looks good but I prefer 1440p on ultra at a steady 60 FPS

10. kødskjold macrumors member

Gotcha. I would prob take the 60fps as well... It's hard to play anything competitively at 30fps. Thanks for trying it out!

11. blast87 thread starter macrumors member

Ok definitely will be installing Win10 this evening then.
    I have been playing around with running it at 5k in OS X, and its almost decently playable at on medium settings.
    It looks fantastic in the native resolution. Would love to play it in 5k on win10 as well