Bootcamp Problem applecare has no clue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dollarbillz, Jan 17, 2010.

1. dollarbillz macrumors member

Hey All,

So im trying to install vista or Xp sp3 on my computer

I got

Snow Leopard
    4 gigs (non-apple ram)
    Macbook 4,1

Im trying to bootcamp MSDN Iso of vista ultimate sp2 or even sp1 and xp pro sp2 or even sp1

when i make the bootcamp partition it restarts and doesnt load windows installer does this with all my disks apple is blaming the isos so i burned them with many iso burners at slowest speeds still no dice

all it brings up on restart is a Blank Black screen with a text cursor blinking
    sorta like md-dos

Im hooped i dont know what to do

Apple said its my 4 gigs of ram but it cant be ive installed XP before on leopard with 4 gigs

anyone got any ideas??

Thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you burn the .iso to DVD using Disk Utility? That's the way I did it and it worked perfectly.

3. dollarbillz thread starter macrumors member

you sure bet i did, thats why im stumped!

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Can you boot another computer with the discs that you're trying to use?

5. dollarbillz thread starter macrumors member

yup even installs in vmware and parrallels perfectly reason i need it bootcamp is i need full horsepower for my VB class

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

From the apple bootcamp support doc:

To install Windows on your Mac computer:
    1. If you already quit Boot Camp Assistant without installing Windows:
    -a Open Boot Camp Assistant.
    -b Select “Start the Windows installer.”
    -c Click Continue.

2. If you are using a computer with more than one internal disk, select the disk on which you want to install Windows, and then click Continue.
    3. Insert your Windows installation disc.
    4. In Boot Camp Assistant, click Start Installation.
    5. Your computer starts up from the Windows installation disc. Follow the onscreen instructions. Refer to the following sections for more information.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup.pdf if you want to read the whole deal

I'm just trying to make sure you're using the bootcamp assistant to initiate the windows installation instead of trying to boot of the DVD.

7. dollarbillz thread starter macrumors member

everything is done through bootcamp it wont load the actual installer on restart just goes to a msdos looking screen

8. larry k. macrumors newbie

I know this is the MacBook/iBook section but I would like to add that I am having the exact same problem with my iMac. I have tried everything I can think of. Resetting the PRAM numerous times, unplugging the computer for a while, using a different keyboard and unplugging everything unnecessary, different memory, different genuine versions of Windows XP, Vista and 7. I've even installed rEFIt and I have tried to install Windows from a USB drive. All I get is the flashing cursor every time. Everything works fine on my MacBook Pro but I can't get it to work on my iMac. Very frustrating!

Please let me know if you figure this out because I am out of ideas!