Bootcamp Problem; Can't Switch Back To Mac OS. Help, Please

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Robert4, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Robert4 macrumors 6502

Hello,

First, thanks for all the previous help.
    Am in my 80's now, and, frankly, would be lost without you folks.

Have a relatively new iMac, and am running the latest vers. of High Sierra.

I did the Bootcamp thing (big, big mistake apparently), and after a few tries W10 comes up.
    Apparently it works fine, except that I cannot get it to recognize (any) wireless Mouse.
    Does recognize the wireless keyboard.
    A secondary problem for now, as I can use an old wired Mouse.

No matter what I do or try, I cannot get it to open up to, or switch back to the Mac OS.

I do not have a Bootcamp Control icon anywhere on the Windows10 screen or task bars.
    Not in the ^ extra menu that you can pull up on the right side of bottom task bar.

I tried restarting multiple times while holding down the key on the bottom of the keyboard
    that has a line thru it; the top part labeled start in white, and the bottom part labeled
    alt opt in grey. The bottom part/symbol I think is for Windows.
    I also tried the fn key next to it, as well as the key labeled alt (in white on top/ and cmd squiggle symbol on the bottom in grey. The keyboard is a Logitech; I think a model 780 (can't find model No. on it)

I read that re-starting and holding down the Option key should bring up a Boot Order screen, or
    automatically go into the Mac OS, but it doesn't for me.

Which key is the Option Key; how (probably) labeled ?
    Perhaps I am not doing this key and hold down correctly ?

Am totally out of ideas now.

Please help me with this.
    There must be some way for me to switch bac to the Mac, or select a boot order, or... ? Isn't there ?

Thanks; appreciate your time nd help,
    Bob

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

The left "Alt" key should work to bring up the boot menu.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2018 ---
    Oh wait is that your keyboard? If so it might be the "Start" button.

Attached Files:

3. Robert4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi

Tried it.

No luck.

What next ?

Thanks,
    Bob

member: 690684"]Hello,

First, thanks for all the previous help.
    Am in my 80's now, and, frankly, would be lost without you folks.

Have a relatively new iMac, and am running the latest vers. of High Sierra.

I did the Bootcamp thing (big, big mistake apparently), and after a few tries W10 comes up.
    Apparently it works fine, except that I cannot get it to recognize (any) wireless Mouse.
    Does recognize the wireless keyboard.
    A secondary problem for now, as I can use an old wired Mouse.

No matter what I do or try, I cannot get it to open up to, or switch back to the Mac OS.

I do not have a Bootcamp Control icon anywhere on the Windows10 screen or task bars.
    Not in the ^ extra menu that you can pull up on the right side of bottom task bar.

I tried restarting multiple times while holding down the key on the bottom of the keyboard
    that has a line thru it; the top part labeled start in white, and the bottom part labeled
    alt opt in grey. The bottom part/symbol I think is for Windows.
    I also tried the fn key next to it, as well as the key labeled alt (in white on top/ and cmd squiggle symbol on the bottom in grey. The keyboard is a Logitech; I think a model 780 (can't find model No. on it)

I read that re-starting and holding down the Option key should bring up a Boot Order screen, or
    automatically go into the Mac OS, but it doesn't for me.

Which key is the Option Key; how (probably) labeled ?
    Perhaps I am not doing this key and hold down correctly ?

Am totally out of ideas now.

Please help me with this.
    There must be some way for me to switch bac to the Mac, or select a boot order, or... ? Isn't there ?

Thanks; appreciate your time nd help,
    Bob[/QUOTE]

4. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Do you have a wired keyboard? Maybe this one isn't working during the boot process.

5. AppleMythos macrumors member

AppleMythos

That's strange. You should really only need to hold down the option key after rebooting if you want to get into Windows. Any restart is supposed to default to macOS. But there should definitely be a boot camp icon in the bottom right ^ button, but since you say this isn't available in that particular task bar, it leads me to believe something may have happened with your installation process. Since you have a new iMac, I would try calling Apple's customer support hotline. They might recommend you take it into an Apple Store to have macOS reinstalled on site.

Hopefully someone else here can help you out before you have to consider escalating to that stage. Good luck.

6. jerwin, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018

jerwin macrumors 68020

It's not really clear to me which key corresponds to "option."

If you are still stuck in windows, use the onscreen keyboard to verify which key is being read as "option".

(click on Start, and then type osk, or "on-screen keyboard". As you type on the logitech, the corresponding key on the on-screen keyboard should highlight. You need to find out which key on the logitech keyboard corresponds with the "alt" key.)

Now that you've identified it, hold down that key at startup.

7. wenjiun88 macrumors newbie

Ok, This is how i manage to get into startup manager by holding alt opt(left) and keep pressing alt opt (right) until the startup manager pop out. I only used Unify to get it run startup manager, i havent try it with bluetooth yet.

Hope this method helps you...