BootCamp Problem iMac 17" Wont Boot to DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 350zman, Dec 29, 2009.

1. 350zman macrumors member

I am having a little problem here, I have a 17 inch core duo (early 06) imac. I am trying to install windows XP SP3. When I make my boot camp partition then go to boot up it will not boot to the dvd disk. So I try to boot up and hold C still wont boot to disk, then I hold option still nothing. But that disk works on my Macbook Pro so I know it is bootable. The superdrive on my iMac is broken and I currently use an external DL DVD drive through USB. Not sure whats wrong right now I am using vmware and its painfully slow. Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

NOTE: My 17" doesn't like the wired Aluminum KB I have on it during boot. Option doesn't work at all. Maybe this is related to your issue, or not.

Do you happen to have the remote? You can pull up the boot selector by holding down menu during boot.

B

3. 350zman thread starter macrumors member

I had the Wired Keyboard, then this week I got the bluetooth one. The boot menu comes up. I do have the remote.

4. 350zman thread starter macrumors member

Also when I hold down C it hangs and tries to boot to the disk but never gets anywhere I have to shut the comp down and boot back to OSX.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

But you still don't see the DVD drive in the boot selector? What do you see?

B

6. 350zman thread starter macrumors member

Its Just the "Macintosh HD" One time i saw the windows dvd clicked it it tried to boot but just hung on the screen for like 10 min and I just restarted the comp.

7. 350zman thread starter macrumors member

8. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Have you ever tried booting from any other CD from your external dvd drive. Maybe OSX doesn't recognize it during bootup for some reason.

9. 350zman thread starter macrumors member

Yes thats what I don't understand it will boot to the Snow Leopard or Leopard install disk but it sees the windows disk but just wont boot to it. I will try to burn my windows disk maybe that might help? Not sure I just want this fixed.