Bootcamp problem, looking for help.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kaenon, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Kaenon macrumors regular

Through the MSDN Academic Alliance, I got a free copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition with key. I burned the disc off of a PC and it showed up as a .iso on my 2011 21.5" iMac.

I opened up the bootcamp utility and partitioned the hdd to like 35GB and then when prompted to select the install disc, I choose the picture of the Windows 7 CD from the desktop. The super-drive spins and then stops saying, "could not find installation disc."

So I copied the .iso and all files to my iMac and burned a new disc using the super-drive, hoping that would resolve the issue.

Went to bootcamp utility and the same thing happened.

Also tried removing the partition, restarting, recreating the partition and tried the bootcamp utility again.

To no avail, "could not find installation disc."

Help? :confused:

2. Kaenon thread starter macrumors regular

3. simsaladimbamba

But you have to burn them in order to be able to run the installer from the DVD.
    Did you burn the .iso file as file or as image and the resulting DVD had lots of files when viewed via Finder?

Btw, did you use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to burn the downloaded .iso to a DVD when in Windows?

4. Kaenon thread starter macrumors regular

See above.

5. simsaladimbamba

Yes to what?

6. Kaenon thread starter macrumors regular

Yes to seeing a lot of files when looking at the iso image file in finder.

7. simsaladimbamba

Do you still have access to another computer, where you could try the burned DVD, to see if you can boot from it on that computer? Maybe it is not bootable.

8. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

It has been a while, but I remember some issue with the iso and 64bit efi on some macs. Here is a link showing how to make an updated iso to fix it.

http://www.ifrankie.com/?p=197