Bootcamp problem - "No bootable device"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac Noob343, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Mac Noob343 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Trying to install Windows XP on my MBP, I have a legitmate store bought copy but it was too scratched to use but luckily I had a burnt copy on a CD, but when I staart the installation it tells me "No bootable device -- Insert boot disc and click any key" or something. Please help, how do I fix this?

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Make sure your copy of the DVD is an actual bootable copy. If it's just on a CD-R then it's probably not a bootable copy... I think you need a DVD-R for that.

Use disk utility to "restore" (I know, sounds weird, but that's what it's called) the xp dvd to a new fresh dvd IF you can even do that, since you said yours was scratched.

3. Mac Noob343 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried with both a DVD and a CD and the same result.

4. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

How did you put the contents over on the dvd though? Did you use disk utility or just copy it over?

5. Mac Noob343 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just copied it

edit: trying it thru DU though I dont see how this is going to make a difference

edit: I definitely already tried that

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You need to copy the cd as an img/iso/dmg then burn using restore.

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Yeah you can't just drag and copy it. That won't work. You need to use DU to make it a master copy/dvd which is bootable. That will make it a .cdr file. Then you can use disk utility to burn that onto your clean DVD.

8. Mac Noob343 thread starter macrumors newbie

still didnt work

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Of course not. You said you had a copy that was all scratched. When you copied it over you said you dragged stuff over which won't work. And now, you have to copy from the original but you said it's all scratched, so that likely won't work either.

Unless I'm missing something here?