Bootcamp problem....slipstreaming SP2 onto XP with SP1a

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jrocks, Dec 30, 2007.

1. jrocks macrumors member

I used slipstreaming to put Windows XP Service Pack 2 onto my install disk for Windows XP that only had SP 1a on it....I tried using it in bootcamp and after it restarted the computer a black screen came up saying 'remove media disks or other devices' and 'press any key to restart'. This is as far as it goes. I cannot get the disk out and no keys work. The only thing I can do is hold the power button down and restart that way holding option to choose to start from my computer. Any ideas for what the problem is/what I should do?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Remember that you do need to press any key to boot off of CD.

Guess what happens if you do not press any key? :p

My unattended slipstreamed discs never had this happen though.

3. jrocks thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick reply...but i dont think i understand what your saying. to boot off cd you hold option and click the cd (right?) in this case its the xp install disk and it says windows....i click that and then a blank screen comes up that says remove disks... press any key to restart....if i press a key nothing happens and i cant remove the disk so i am forced to hold the power button down.....can u explain a little more what your saying pleez? thanks!

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How did you slipstream Service Pack 2 onto your disc?

Please use sentences and paragraphs.

5. jrocks thread starter macrumors member

Sentences eh? okay. I downloaded the service pack to my pc. Ripped the Windows XP stuff onto my computer and used command to extract some things and put them together. Used IsoBuster to make an image of it and then created the bootable disk. This disk works fine on my pc, it boots just like the normal XP disk does. But on the mac when I try using it for bootcamp it doesn't work. I followed these direction btw: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've always had nLite on hand to do my work with unattended installs.

After that it works just fine.

I'm still very confused by this.

7. jrocks thread starter macrumors member

This is what I mean. In the picture it says "remove media disk or other media" and then "press any key to restart". I don't understand, what is nLite?

Attached Files:

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've never encountered that while using Boot Camp.

nLite is an application that allows you to slipstream service packs, hotfixes, and prepare unattended installations of Windows.

9. jrocks thread starter macrumors member

oh..well nLite sounds pretty helpful...i'll look into it. thanks

anyone else have any ideas whats going on?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

nLite is lovely when I can just drop in my Windows installer and go get lunch.

Hence unattended install :D

No clue what's going on.