Bootcamp Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SirStrumalot, Mar 2, 2011.

1. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

So I just bought a new 2011 Macbook Pro, and as I'm sure you've heard, Apple has dropped support for Vista and XP on Bootcamp.

Now my predicament is such that I have an authorized Windows 7 disc which I can only use for an upgrade and not a clean install. In the past, I've just installed Vista and then upgraded with no problems. While trying to take this route this time around, the Vista installation went fine but I'm not able to connect to the internet once it's done (no drivers) to update it to SP1, and if I can't update it to SP1, the Windows 7 upgrade won't run.

I hope that made some sense. Is there any way to get around this? I would appreciate the help a lot.

Thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you download the Service Pack via a working computer with internet connection and then transfer it via thumb-drive or other means to your Windows 6 installation and then install that SP?

That was at least possible in 2000 till 2004, when one had to use SPs for Windows 5 and 5.1, and due to lower internet connection speeds and frequent re-installations (I could enter the product key for Windows 5 without looking at it, I could remember it already), a downloaded and archived SP was always good.

3. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, good idea! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502