Bootcamp Problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jakesaunders27, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,
    So I tried to install 64 bit windows 7 pro and then upgrade to 8 pro then 8.1 pro on my mac pro 1,1 well, that went well couldn't even get 7 on let alone 8.1! I modified the installer using a tutorial and that got me past the cd boot option problem and onto the installer, I gutted my mac pro of its drives apart from a single drive for windows, and it looked promising until the expanding files part got to 85% then it just hangs!

WHY!

anyone had this problem before?

Cheers

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

It can stay on 85 % for a long time! but if not usually it's problems with the disk/controller if not. I presume you are not using the usual bootcamp method but if it's in legacy (black screen boot) mode it will only pick up sleds 1&2. Not done an EFI install on 1-2,1 but you should find some help in the big EFI windows thread.

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah, it just doesn't sound right, my disk drive starts starting and stopping as soon as it hits 85% and yeah the drive is in sled 4 but I'm using a apple card so have a boot screen, shall i try it in sled 1 then?

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Yep sleds 1 or 2. But if the drive is spinning up and down the disk could have a problem, when it hits the particular sector it goes Pete Tong. I would be tempted to use a bootable diagnostic disk off the manufacturers site and run a full sector by sector scan overnight. I had a brand new wd green 3tb bomb out and start stop exactly that way a month ago or so. Took 2 weeks to replace - I did say to get them from amazon and not a couple of quid cheaper from ebuyer with their rubbish returns!

5. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah it's that 500gb green that used to be my boot drive if you remember from the thread last weekend, that's probably why, I'll wait till I get my ssd for osx then I can use my old osx drive for windows, cheers mate!

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Lol - no wonder. In my computer youth I used to try and re-use drives that might have a problem. Now I get the data off ASAP and the drive gets stored till I might need the PCB off it to get another working. Next in the queue for spike bolster plus fat club hammer treatment for when I need to let off steam!

7. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Lol, it's just money! As much as everyone here says don't upgrade a 1,1 I just enjoy it so it's slowly getting better! New hard drives are next on the list!

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Don't think I did did I? If you enjoy messing around with it its good practice and a lot of the upgrade parts can go in a newer tower go for it. I would buy a small SSD for both OS and spinners for data though, I can never go back. Similar to floppy to hard disk days!

My playthings were 8088/286/386 boxes and pre Macintosh gear, god I feel old :D

9. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Haha nice! And no you never did! I suppose I'm only 16 almost 17 so been to have a Mac Pro of my spec (decent ish) is good I suppose! And yeah I'm looking at a 240gb m500 at the moment seem to be a good deal on Amazon