Bootcamp problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nickarate, Apr 26, 2008.

1. nickarate macrumors regular

So my problem occurs after I make my partition in boot camp assistant. I allocate the space, and then try to install my Windoze Vista. But the problem is, as i progress through the installation, that I get to a point where I cannot continue because it tells me that the drive (partition) needs to be formatted in NTFS as opposed to whatever boot camp sets it as.

So my question is, does anyone know how to convert the partition to NTFS before I install Vista? I would also like to tell you that I am very new to mac.... and often don't understand a lot of what you guys refer to on this site, but any help would be appreciated!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There should be an option at the bottom of that screen that allows you to format. Do so. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT YOUR BOOT CAMP PARTITION WHEN YOU DO THIS. Then select the partition again and continue on.

3. nickarate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll try it again, but I didn't notice that option. Do you know any way to do it from Leopard?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll do just fine from within the installer. Either you can't from OS X, or it doesn't work... I don't remember...

5. chscag macrumors 68000

You can't do it from Leopard or any other utility without messing up your entire HDD, so don't even attempt it.

Vista must be installed on a partition formatted to NTFS. Boot Camp does an initial format which must be followed up by formatting from the Windows installer, otherwise the Boot Camp partition will not be bootable.

You will get that option during the installation. As the other post pointed out, be sure to select the CORRECT partition! The partition to select is labelled "Boot Camp". Scroll the arrow down to it and select NTFS.

If you by chance missed that option, run Boot Camp again from within OS X and remove the partition. Then start over.