BOOTCAMP problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by calkc123, Feb 11, 2011.

1. calkc123 macrumors newbie

hi im running snow leopard on a macbook (white model) i had partioned my drive and been running xp which has ended up starting up and being stuck on a black screen blinking cursor .i reinstalled snow leopard from scratch and then retried BOOTCAP this time for it to tell me that need to update my software but isnt OSX ment to be capable of running both and having the software built in to snow leopard any help is much appreciated hopefully this makes sense to someone . (im new )

regards craig:):)

2. shouldberunning macrumors member

When you reinstalled Snow Leopard did you repartition the hard drive?

Bootcamp, in my experience anyway, does not like pre-existing partitions. I would run Disk Utility from your Snow Leopard start up disk and reformat the drive so it's just one big drive. Install Snow Leopard and once up and running start Bootcamp and let it make the Windows partition.

Pretty much trouble free from that point on.

Don't forget, once you're back in Win XP put your Snow Leopard start up disk back in so it can install your Win XP drivers.

3. calkc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

will i lose what i have on my drive by doing this ?

4. BuddyHax macrumors newbie

BuddyHax

Yes

If you want to reformat your drive, you will need to boot up from your OSX disk, and it will erase your entire HDD. And the black screen with a blinking white line in the top left hand corner is what happens everytime I boot up in Win7 on my Macbook, but it always boots, it just takes a little longer :)