Bootcamp Problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by r23w, Jun 3, 2011.

1. r23w, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

r23w macrumors member

My macbook pro has two internal drives, a SSD for the OS, and a HDD for my media. My superdrive is installed in an external usb enclosure. I am trying to install a windows partition on that second internal drive. I got the partition setup, but when I go to install its a blank screen with a blinking dash. I definitely think this is due to the USB superdrive.

Its a early 2011 2.3 ghz quad core Macbook Pro 15"

Does anyone know how I could get this to work?

Thanks

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You have to put the superdrive back into the system, move the hard drive to the original spot, install Windows, then put everything back the way it was.

3. r23w thread starter macrumors member

Was hoping I wouldn't have to do that,

Could I create and install the bootcamp partition on a different MBP and then somehow just copy the over the partition?

Is that copy even possible? Will it run on a different macbook pro (different specs, different HDD size (bigger))?

Thanks again.

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No. That wouldn't work. You can try the method from the post above. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably have no choice but to put the superdrive back.