Bootcamp Pure Gaming: Vista Ultimate vs. Win. 7 RC? HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, May 25, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

1. I have the UMBP, the 2.4Ghz edition, with 2GB of Ram. I was wondering whether I should install Windows 7 RC or Vista Ultimate for bootcamp? It will be used primarily for gaming. Call of Duty 4 & 5 would probably be the most intense I'll play for now :p So which OS will help me run these games at the best they can on the 2.4Ghz?

2. Also how much HDD should I dedicate to bootcamp? I had the 250GB HDD, and I have about 120GB left. Is about 60 enough? Do you recommend more? 70? 80? I really need someone with experience to help me out with this.

3. Also once I install said OS on bootcamp, windows update, and the CD that came with the mac should give me all the necessary drivers and stuff, right?

Thanks a lot.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Go for Windows 7. I'd allocate a little more than 60 GB.

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

win7 is realy fast ... (take care, if you need 32bit or 64)
    vista is the real snail ...

4. John89 macrumors regular

I have never really used Vista.

But I have Windows 7 installed and Im really impressed with the performance.
    I did have a problem playing Unreal Tournament 3 because it kept crashing, but I ran it in Compatibility Mode set at XP SP2 and it worked fine.

Plus its free for a year!

:D

EDIT

Oh, you may have to download BootCamp 2.1 from the apple website depending on which version is on your OS X disk. I had to do that, 2.0 wouldnt work with Windows 7.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The difference between Windows 7 and Windows Vista SP2 is slight. If you have a legitimate Windows Vista license then don't bother with Windows 7, just install your copy of Vista.

6. John89 macrumors regular

Wow Bill! Quite the Apple fan boy! :D

7. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I've played several games in Windows 7. I went for 50 Gb. That will hold 2 games at the same time.

8. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

I have a 500 gb seagate 5400 rpm drive. I have 100gb dedicated to Windows XP.

I would wait until after June 26th to buy Vista. I've been unable to confirm, but I think you can get a free upgrade to 7 if you do so. http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=609&pgno=0

I wish I knew if buying the disc will allow me to get a free upgrade. XP has been giving me troubles lately and I'd like to upgrade.

I have nearly all 100gb of space filled up. It's all games for me on that partition. Half Life 2, Bioshock, Crysis, etc. Macbook Pros are great for gaming!

9. kolax macrumors G3

Install Windows 7 R.C. It is free after all (for a year..) and is really stable.

I've assigned 50GB's to Windows 7's partition and use it only for games. Works a treat.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Windows 7 is really very good. i have the 64bit version running so that is the one that i recommend.

11. maraca2020 macrumors member

bill gates or vicious -

how is the umbp 2.66 for gaming? Like gta iv.

and + 1 for win 7

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

GTA IV? No idea. I'd think you would need a Core i7 Extreme for that. The only games I play on my MBP are BattleField 2 and Company of Heroes. Both run well.

13. maraca2020 macrumors member

thanks. Can I ask you a favor? coud you go on your windows partition, go to systemrequirementslab.com, and select gta iv and tell me what it says? Thank you so much if you can!