Bootcamp questians

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zershin, Mar 10, 2009.

1. zershin macrumors newbie

Hey guys first post here, I bought a new 15" MacBook pro last week. I want to know when you are running windows how do you tell that you a using the 512MDVramm video card? And I also want to know why windows is showing I have 2.76gb of ramm, when the machine has 4gbs.

Thanks for you help.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

XP can only use about 3gb of ram.

Windows, you probably have to right click on desktop and go to graphics properties or nvidia.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Depends on what kind of operating system you use.

If it's a 32-bit OS, then 3GB is the physical max (technically you can go higher), but if it's a 64-bit, you can use all 4 GB and more.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's true for windows only.

OSX can do more than 3gb of ram even with 32bit OS.

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Up to 4GB yes, over 4GB no. This is a limitation of the 32bit address space not the operating system.

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

OK, up to 4 (at best). It's still a 32-bit OS.

To the OP: You need to get a 64-bit OS. Vista and (soon to be released) Windows 7 both have 64-bit varients that are very fast/stable.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

8. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

True - I don't think anyone has ever got the 2 confused. What's your point? :)

According to that link OS X has been 64bit since Tiger (maybe earlier?) so will have been able to access more than 4GB RAM. This might explain my point better: http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/1079.

9. zershin thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Someone didn't read the article...

Quote:
    "Tiger still used a 32-bit kernel (although it was not limited to 32-bit memory addressing"

I mentioned OSX is not windows because the 32bit memory addressing limitation only applies to windows, as OSX has >32 bit memory addressing for a long time now.

Anyway, since it's a limitation of winodws, to get 4gb of RAM in windows you need 64bit windows, and 64bit vista > 64bit xp, as there are very few drivers fro 64bit xp, and in windows drivers (since there are few built in support) is essential to operation.

11. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Another quote from the same article: "With updates to Tiger, Apple delivered the same level of 64-bit support for x64 Intel processors as it had for the PowerPC G5."

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The point is that even with 32bit OSX, OSX is not limited to 32bit address of RAM.

Yes there are 64bit OSX which you are pointing out but that's not the point.

Windows is limited, even with vista, thus "need" for a particular version.
    64bit ram addressing requiring "64bit os" only applies to windows.

13. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well we all learn something new every day. Thanks for attention to details.
    I've learned something new too. =)