Bootcamp Question about Reinstalling OSX

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by odinsride, Nov 23, 2010.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Hi, I have a 2010 Mac Pro with two HDs - one which has an OSX installation, and one which has a Windows 7 installation (bootcamp). I need to reinstall OSX due to some system troubles and was wondering if I will need to reinstall Windows/Bootcamp all over again? If not, is there anything special I need to do or it will just work after installing OSX?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They shouldn't interact on separate drives, but back everything up anyhow.

B

3. DarkC macrumors newbie

DarkC

It's a known fact that reinstalling OSX breaks the OSX/bootcamp boot sequence (sorry, lack of a better name) and that afterwards, you'll lose the option to hold the option button to boot into your windows partition.

What I can't seem to find on the net is someone that know how/successfully restored that boot sequence without reinstalling Windows. I'm about to reinstalling OSX and I'd just like a clear answer.

I've read that inserting the Windows DVD and repairing MIGHT work but no confirmation...

Anyone knows for sure?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you on a Mac Pro with Windows and OS X on separate drives like the OP in this thread?

I will reassert that there should be no interaction in that case. With a partitioned Mac/Windows drive things may be different. If you are on a Mac Pro with separate drives, pull the Windows drive before you reinstall Mac OS and it will not be affected.

Startup Repair in Windows 7 does a fair job, but even on my Windows/Linux PC I had to run it twice back-to-back to fix a startup problem. It also takes a long time.

B

5. DarkC macrumors newbie

DarkC

No I don't have a Mac Pro but the MBR will be messed up whether you have 1 drive partitioned or 2 drive separately. Isn't that correct? In both case, reinstalling OSX won't touch your Windows partition/disk if done correctly.

So you say that inserting the windows Repair disk will in fact fix the option to boot back in Windows?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's not how things work on the Mac Pro. On one of the Mac Pros I was using as a Windows box we pulled the OS X drive, installed Windows from scratch on a new drive (insert Windows installer hold Alt at boot) and then re-attached the OS X drive with no issues in booting either OS X or Windows.

I have used it successfully on my MBP (MacOS10.6/Win764U GPT/MBR) and on my PC when they would no longer boot Windows.

You can back up and restore the MBR using the same low-level dd commands Winclone does if you're feeling adventurous.

B

7. DarkC macrumors newbie

DarkC