Bootcamp Question... restoring the partition and losing its hd space?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CSilver, Sep 26, 2010.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Alright... I've installed and uninstalled windows couple of times through the Bootcamp... when installing the Windows 7, it asks to format the partition so that the Windows can be installed. My questions comes here, I also restored the partition couple of times for no reason :confused: and whenever I restored it, I noticed that the space used by Windows never gets added back up to Mac Partition. So does that mean the space used by Windows will be just floating around???

To simplify my question: After restoring the Windows partition, the space used by windows, will it be added back up to the Mac partition(to 1 partition)??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

If you want to merge both partitions into one again, go inside your bootcamp assistant app and restore the hd into one again. That will merge both partitions into what you had before you installed windows, and the space taken up by windows will be added back to the mac partition.

I hope that was helpful. Your question was a little confusing.

3. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Umm yes, I know my question was little confusing but I already knew how to merge it... It's just that even after merging the space taken up by windows doesn't add up to the mac partition. I installed and reinstalled like 2 times with Bootcamp both times using 60 gb of Space. Although, it never got added back up on the Mac Partition...

This is little frustrating since I can't fully explain what I am trying to ask...

Well... when bootcamp formats for the windows, doesn't it format to Fat32 or Fat? So when I try to merge both partitions, formatted space, will it turn back to Mac OS journaled???

Sorry if I am confusing people even more... I just don't get that whole system of bootcamp merging... I feel like I am losing space from installing windows and merging it back up later on.

Thanks

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

By default bootcamp partitions as fat32. When you install Windows 7 the fat32 partition is formatted to NTFS.

When you go to restore your bootcamp partition, does bootcamp assistant give you any errors?

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Show us a screen shot of your partition map from Disk Utility. That might help explain what you're trying to ask :)

6. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

If you restore it using the Bootcamp Assistant you will not lose that space. I have done it many times and every time i do it through Disk Utility i lose the 100 or so Gig but when i do it through Bootcamp assistant it works fine