Bootcamp Question, Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BHome916, Jan 13, 2010.

1. BHome916 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

When reading the setup guide for bootcamp, the page that lists what you need for the process says "Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later" is required...

However, the installation disk that came with my Windows XP reads Service Pack 1, Version 2002.

What should I do? Can I proceed with Service Pack 1? If not, how do I get service pack 2?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. BHome916 thread starter macrumors newbie

that doesn't seem very applicable to me, no? since I only have osx as my operating system on my mac, and I can't even get any version of xp installed via bootcamp, so i wouldn't be able to "slipstream" to SP3, right?

Or am I missing something?

4. rlav macrumors member

Don't mark my words for it but i believe those requirements are for the Boot Camp software and drivers. So I believe if you install your XP SP1 and then do the SP2 +SP3 updates before installing the Boot Camp software you will be fine. In every case I have used Boot Camp (Vista and 7) the trackpad and WiFi drivers have worked without the boot camp software.

Not positive, but that is my impression.

Good Luck

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I wrote something up a long time ago on how to do it with mkisofs and wine, but by far the easiest solution is to use Virtualbox/Parallels/VMWare Fusion to load your SP1 (they don't require SP2) and build your slipstreamed SP2 from there.

I don't recommend installing SP1 and upgrading as rlav suggests, someone got it to work recently, but many others have failed miserably.

B