Bootcamp question xD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CSilver, May 28, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Hi, I have been having awesome experience using OS X and Xp at the same time! But lately when I try to run the games on VMware... its starting to lack in graphics and memory. So, I was thinking of installing bootcamp.

My first question is will I have stuff that I have installed in VMware Xp in Xp installed on Bootcamp?

Secondly, if bootcamp is partitioning the HD then is that mean when I want to reinstall the OS X and wipe the HD will I only have the part that had OS X?

Sorry I am pretty new to Mac and I never was brave enough to install xp on Bootcamp xD

Thanks and Have a great day!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Stuff from VMware will not be in XP on the partioned half. Yes once the drive is partioned you should be able to just format/reinstall OS X on that side only, the windows side shouldn't be touched. :)

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You will not share your VMware installation with bootcamp. You have to reinstall a new copy of Windows. There are ways of migrating VMware to bootcamp but its painful. Once installed in bootcamp, you can then run THAT copy of Windows in VMware.

Once you have partitioned, if you have to reinstall OSX it will only affect the OSX partition.

4. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks both for the quick reply! Umm is that mean I can reinstall OSX over XP as an option? Like if I wanted to just start fresh o_O?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes. You can reinstall OS X over either or both partitions at any time. You should be able to resize the partition on-the-fly too.

6. 22Hertz macrumors regular

I didn't see this mentioned so in case you didn't know OSX does not need to be wiped an reinstalled periodically like Windows does.

I had a hard time understanding this when I was new to Macs so just a FYI

7. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clarification :D
    Yup just enjoying the goodness of Mac but sometimes I wonder whenever I delete the app by just dragging into the trash can... I just doesn't feel right haha. Just feels like there is still more to delete xD Thank you for the reply ;D