Bootcamp question! :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shardulk803, Mar 4, 2011.

1. shardulk803 macrumors newbie

Hello:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:
    I am going to buy a Macbook pro soon.
    About bootcamp... If I make a partion of say 200 Gb out of 750 available then...
    Say i need some songs in both OSX and windows can it read automatically or do I need to copy them again into 200 GB section?
    How smooth is Windows 7 with Bootcamp.
    And can you'll basically explain how it works...
    This might be a classique question but I couldn't find a good answer!
    Please help!:confused:

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Think of BootCamp making one computer into two. You would have to have files on both partitions. Windows 7 runs natively on a Mac with BootCamp.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

3. DarkestWall macrumors newbie

Like it has been said, bootcamp basically creates your computer into 2 computers. When you use the Windows 7 OS, your computer is ONLY using Windows.

Basically your computer "becomes" a PC. So W7 should run just as well as on a PC computer.

It might be a good idea to have an external hard drive and you can play your music from there. That way you also don't have to take up any space on your computers hdd.

Another option is if you are using less CPU demanding work, you can use something like "VirtualBox" to "run" windows 7 while also running OSX.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Mac OS X and Windows 7 use different filesystems.

You'll see your Windows partition in Finder, you can browser it and open files but you can't write to it because OS X does not have write support for NTFS filesystems. You can install a free application called NTFS-3G which will allow to write to it from Finder and other application, so that's not an issue.

Windows will not recognise OS X's filesystem at all, it will not show up in explorer. You can buy MacDrive ($50) which will add this compatibility. You'll be able to read and write to OS X's partition from explorer, just like you would a Windows drive.