Bootcamp question..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jsf8x, Jun 30, 2011.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Hi.

I'm confused with the way bootcamp works. Do I have to buy any sort of copy of windows or anything to use windows through bootcamp? Or can I just use some sort of windows right away..

thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

3. XcodeCrazy, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011

XcodeCrazy macrumors newbie

XcodeCrazy

You must already have a copy of a Windows Operating System. Boot Camp Assistant basically creates a partition just for Windows without erasing your existing Mac OS X volume. After running Boot Camp and installing Windows, you can switch between Windows and Mac OS X by holding the Option key at start up. Or, use the Startup Disk control panel in Windows (installed with Boot Camp drivers from the Mac OS X installation disc) or Mac OS X Startup Disk preferences to set the default operating system to use each time the computer starts up. Programs such as 'Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac' and 'VMware Fusion 3' are terrific add-ons for Boot Camp that allow you to open Windows-based applications without switching between your Windows and Mac OS X partitions. Hope you found this helpful!

Matt Thompson
    XcodeCrazy
    June 30, 2011

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note that on the most recent Macs, Apple only supports Windows 7 for use under Boot Camp with Boot Camp Assistant.

If you have an older Mac you could use XPSP2, XPSP3 or Vista if you already have one.

As simsaladimbamba suggests a full retail package of Windows 7 (Usually starting at $199) is what is supported and legitimately licensed, but retail upgrades and OEM versions can be made to work with a little extra work if you are OK with bending the license a bit.

B