Bootcamp Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by spank13, Dec 22, 2011.

1. spank13, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

spank13 macrumors newbie

I did a quick search and couldn't find this exact question, so here it is:

I'm currently looking at upgrading to a MBP in the very near future. My HP laptop is >5 years old and I'm ready to make the switch after playing with my wife's MBP and taking the time to learn the OS (I fell in love). I'm not 100% sure that all the programs I use are Apple friendly, so I want to have Windows 7 as a backup.

I purchased Windows 7 as an upgrade to my laptop last year. When I get my MBP I will part out my laptop, so can I use the copy of Windows that is currently on the laptop for Bootcamp? Will it trigger anything during the registration process that won't allow it due to be installed on a separate laptop? Or am I going to have to purchase another Windows 7 license? It's Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Thanks in advance.

2. lampliter macrumors member

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Well if you sell off your old laptop or give it away etc and the old win os is still on it you really should buy a new copy.

You can certainly use the current disk etc to install operating system. Eventually you will be asked if you want to activate it now or wait.

You can get all the way thru the install and even update your system etc ( don't forget to install the bootcamp drivers from apple side ) before activating.

If you activate by phone your apple laptop will generate a string of digits and you can get microsoft to generate back ( via phone ) an activation string.

Eventually the microsoft phone activation will ask you "how many computers is this piece of software installed on" for double checking purposes. The answer that you give there ( the number ) will determine if microsoft generates an activation code or tells you sorry you have to buy another license.

4. spank13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually intend on parting away the laptop and keeping the hard drive. So it will go without the OS installed. I guess that's my real question: Does that count as having it installed on two different machines? The old laptops hard drive is going to be formatted and turned into an external.

5. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Well if that's the case I would answer the microsoft activation question "how many computers has this software been installed on" with the answer one.

That will let the microsoft activation via phone feature generate you a new activation code.

6. spank13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I appreciate your help and response!