Bootcamp question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by njain, Sep 1, 2012.

1. njain macrumors member

I have a mbp runnins lion. I need to use windows for some classes in college so i was going to use bootcamp to install windows 7. Heres my question, i have a Pc desktop at home that came with a windows 7 reinstall disk. Can i use this disk on my mac to install and activate windows? Or do i have to buy another windows 7 license?

Thanks in advance

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

To install Windows on Bootcamp legitimately, you have to have a full version (not an upgrade) of Windows (e.g. $200 for Win7 Home Premium).

3. Nickuk77, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

Nickuk77 macrumors newbie

Hi there. You will have to buy a new licence to install in bootcamp. The licence you have is tied to that computer and even if you will manage to install from the disks you have you will not be able to activate that licence because was already activated.

All the best!

4. njain thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks. Is there a way i can just buy a new product key? Or do i have to buy the whole thing again?

5. Pharmscott, Sep 1, 2012

Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

You can buy the license online from Microsoft but I'm not sure how that works *during* the Bootcamp install. Probably best just to get the disk.

6. Nickuk77, Sep 1, 2012

7. njain thread starter macrumors member

Like i said, i do have a windows 7 disk that came with my pc. So if i just buy the key from microsoft could i use the reinstall disk i have for bootcamp and then activate with the new key?

----------

Is there a difference between the reinstall disk that came with my pc and the disk you could buy from microsoft or say office max?

8. Nickuk77, Sep 1, 2012

In this link http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216647200 you will find exactly what you can buy from Microsoft.

Hope that helps you.

P.S. I cannot guarantee that the disks will work thought because I do not know how the disks has been done by the seller. It is a small chance that will be installable only on that particular computer. Anyway you will get a downloadable version of windows when you buy the licence which you can burn it later.

All the best!

9. njain thread starter macrumors member

Ok sorry about all the questions! The disk i have came with a dell and says windows 7 reinstall. Either way, when i purchase the download from microsoft, how would i get it on a dvd (so i can use for bootcamp) and how big would the dvd have to be?

10. njain thread starter macrumors member

11. tmagman macrumors 6502

nope you need a FULL licence not an upgrade licence. (Licence <--> Product Key are interchangeable)